Premed 101 Forums

Internal Medicine Residency in Toronto- How important is research?

LIM

hello people.. So I am really interested in hearing from some UofT internal medicine residents, fellows or people who jsut might have an idea about this. I am looking into doing an IM residency in TO because I like the city and the program, by the sounds of it, appears to be good. I am not a great fan of research though. Even though I did some research in undergrad, I do not want to go into a program where it is MANDATORY to do research. I know that the Royal college wants you to do some research as part of your IM residency training (and I dont mind doing like a short clinical research project like a case report etc.) but nothing major (like I wouldnt be interested at all in taking up a long term research project). Would this deter me from adjusting at the UofT? Will my life be difficult then if I am chosen to do the IM residency at the UofT? Please advise.

Great thread, since I'm also interested in IM.

Are there any other residencies that don't care so much about research too? I'm really not looking forward to doing it during residency, and I've never done research in the life sciences (did a couple stats-based geography research projects in undergrad, and that's it). I mean I'm not opposed to ever doing research, but I'm just curious as to which residencies don't emphasize it as much (or don't require it).

Not a problem. Research, although valued by the program and supported with lots of resources, is not an absolute requirement. A different scholarly project (eg. developing a teaching module/seminar, a quality improvement project, etc) would be just fine.

Thanks for the info man.. Are you at the UofT? Could you comment on the general environment in residency. I hear the cutthroat competetiveness (one person trying to impress the supervisor at the expense of another equally competitive but quieter guy?) is a little too much there?. TO has a lot of stereotypical stories attached to it..atleast here in the west...Do you mind commenting? If things look easy, I wouldnt mind having TO as my first choice in residency.

Thanks for the info man.. Are you at the UofT? Could you comment on the general environment in residency. I hear the cutthroat competetiveness (one person trying to impress the supervisor at the expense of another equally competitive but quieter guy?) is a little too much there?. TO has a lot of stereotypical stories attached to it..atleast here in the west...Do you mind commenting? If things look easy, I wouldnt mind having TO as my first choice in residency.

I finished my core IM residency there a couple of years ago. And I think the competitiveness issue is overstated. I'm one of the "quieter guys" and never felt like I was competing with other residents, nor did I have a problem getting noticed. Here are my general thoughts on the program:

- large breadth of clinical exposure, multiple sites with different patient populations lends a well-rounded experience

- teaching staff are excellent, on par with or better than staff at any other program I did electives at, excellent bedside teaching/teaching on wards

- lots of support for research/academic projects

- large program, less comraderie than elsewhere, but most people find a core group of friends to hang out with

- one drawback is the academic half days - longitudinal clinic experience is not that great, and lecture series happens <1 per month with topics often of marginal interest to residents. I would have preferred a weekly lecture half day structured to teach topics toward the Royal College objectives (although scenario rounds/exam prep are very good otherwise)

- one of the sites is extremely busy: good for learning/efficiency, not good for sleep/social life

I finished my core IM residency there a couple of years ago. And I think the competitiveness issue is overstated. I'm one of the "quieter guys" and never felt like I was competing with other residents, nor did I have a problem getting noticed. Here are my general thoughts on the program:

- large breadth of clinical exposure, multiple sites with different patient populations lends a well-rounded experience

- teaching staff are excellent, on par with or better than staff at any other program I did electives at, excellent bedside teaching/teaching on wards

- lots of support for research/academic projects

- large program, less comraderie than elsewhere, but most people find a core group of friends to hang out with

- one drawback is the academic half days - longitudinal clinic experience is not that great, and lecture series happens <1 per month with topics often of marginal interest to residents. I would have preferred a weekly lecture half day structured to teach topics toward the Royal College objectives (although scenario rounds/exam prep are very good otherwise)

- one of the sites is extremely busy: good for learning/efficiency, not good for sleep/social life

Really appreciate your input here!! Thanks so much for your thoughts on the program.

Archived