Premed 101 Forums

Any Physio's applying for Med?

Hey Everyone,

What are your thoughts on doing a Masters of PT prior to going to Medical School?

In comparison to a Research based Masters Program - what about taking a Professional Masters Program like Physio and then applying?

I have also heard from both UBC Students and UBC Physio Profs that a high GPA in PT is very possible and attainable.

Something nice - is that you could come out of 2 years of education with a job. It would also be a nice back up plan if Med didn't in fact work out.

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

I also thought of that, but I'm an idiot and f***ed myself over with a VERY VERY low GPA. I have a cGPA of 2.66 and the last 3 years (im in my 5th year, taking only 3 courses, which is another killer, with a last 3 year GPA of 3.4). Which means I don't get looked at because I'm nmot doing a full course load.

So If I had the marks, I'd do physio for sure. Great subject to study and work.

my friend entered the physio program with the intention of applying to med school after working for a year or two as a PT. he also believed it to be an excellent back up should med school not work out...

the dude is crazy smart though- if he doesn't get in the next time he applies i'd be sad.

ultimately, do what you want to do, but remember that you may not be able to apply to medicine until after completing your degree so you would conceivably take yourself out of the running for two or three years.

however, you may fall in love with physio and decide that is what you want to do... either way just keep moving forward.

Archived