Premed 101 Forums

Am i able to apply

ismaelmehdi

Hi

I am a student in Maisonneuve Cegep (i'm in my first semester first year) and i would like to know if i still have a chance to apply at McGill University for a Medicine program if my marks until now looks like that(please look at the attachments:o )

Right now i am really upset because a lot of my friends told me that i can't do anything now, and i just wanted o see if what they say is approved by mcgill students or not

thank you!

post-16907-140744794604_thumb.jpg

Hey Isamelmehdi,

I was a student at Collège de Maisonneuve and I finished in winter '10. I'm now doing premed at McGill so I've done the same courses that you're doing right now.

Sadly, the marks that you have now aren't good enough to enter neither at McGill nor at any French university teaching medicine program in Québec. You need at least 33,5> of R Score to get to the interviews and when I say 33,5 it's the very very very lowest score admitted to the interview !

However, it's not too late. You still have time and the chance to improve your marks since it's your first semester and since you have a lot of exams remaining.

If you have any question about Maisonneuve, Mcgill or medicine in general feel free to pm me !

I actually think that there might be a chance since this is just your first semester, and I'm guessing that those are your midterm marks. However, do those marks count for a lot? (at know that at my school, we have only obtained 25-30% of our final mark)

If they don't count for a big percentage of your final marks, they could be balanced by some higher marks (i.e you have to work damn hard)

Just work hard and aim for atleast a high 80 or 90 overall average over your first 3 semesters. Some deparments may have policies of dropping your lowest mark or a more heavily weighted final exam if you do better - check with your teachers or course outlines. Work hard!!

On one end, it not too late to fix your problem; on the other your living dangerously.

If you continue as you are, and those end up being your final marks, your CRC could very well be below 28.

However your lucky to be in science, because for many of your classes, you have the option having your final exam count for 100% of your final grade, assuming you meet the conditions.

For the non science course, I would negociate with your instructors, tell them a sob story hoping they'll throw something at you to boost your grades.

But all in all, your friends are part right, part wrong in saying there is nothing you can do. They are right because if you mess up one semester, it affects your ability to obtain a competitive CRC but not a strong one. They are wrong because you still have a fighting chance to salvage whatevers left, however it means you have to work harder.

aim for the 90s in all class

If you study hard and still can't get a 90, then ask your teachers for tips as to what and how you can improve. You can get by having below 90 in some class, but aiming for anything lower in all class (ie; 75-85%) will greatly reduce your chance to get accepted in any med program

The OP is in the Quebec system and is ib Cegep (college) right now, a iming for medicine directly from Cegep without doing undergraf, well if accepted into the McGill med-pre program, he does one year of UG and so long as he meets the academic requirements, he goes directly into medicine.

Going form Cehep directly into medicine requires very, very high grades to obtain the interview. In summary, the grades you refer to won't cut it.

Of course, if he does not get into the McGill med-pre program or directly into medicine at one of the French speaking med schools, he then goes to university and can apply again.

Lol, getting a few courses in the 75-85% range is not going to "greatly reduce" your Canadian med school chances.

It absolutely will decrease his chances.

Québec's medical faculties,for applicants comming from CÉGEP, do not look for a gpa or for Z Score, they only look at the r score which compares you to the class average !

So, if you get 90% for a bio course and the average is 98, you'll get a very bad r score even if you'd have a A and a 4,0gpa.

Archived