Premed 101 Forums

CASPer fail

That was ridiculous. 5 minutes is not enough time, and I can only imagine what a nightmare it is for slow typers!

They spent years and who knows how much money to develop this thinking people "can't get help." Seriously?? Anyone could have someone else do it for them.

I'm sorry but I'm not a ______ or a _______ or a ________ and there is a reason why those people are in those positions (referring to the casper "you are a ________ how would you act?").

I don't feel like some of the questions are relevant to revealing your character, which in part still needs to be moulded by your medical education!

Please be truthful on their mandatory survey.

Rant over.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you! I am so glad you agree! I just took the CASPer. I told them when I did the beta testing that 5 minutes was not enough time. I am a very fast typer, but when it comes to having to think about all of these different scenarios and type out thoughtful and complete answers in 5 minutes, it's impossible! I missed one question completely, and there were several that I did not have time to answer properly.

Also, they need to completely disable the f***ing backspace button, because that caused me a problem on one of the sections. I am using a lap top, I do not have a desktop, and since my wrist lightly tapped the mouse pad while I was still typing and clicked backspace, I wound up losing 2 minutes of time. They should do something similar to the MCAT Writing Sample page to prevent such problems. Just telling us not to use it is NOT enough.

Also, on one of the sections where they asked us about two different personal situations, I had NO time to think about two such examples. It took me a whole minute to think of an appropriate first example. They need to stay on ONE personal example only, if they're going to be asking me 3 questions in 5 minutes.

And yeah... totally unfair for slow typers! You have 1024 characters that you'll never be able to completely use, and those people who can type quickly definitely have the advantage here.

Anyways... definitely a CASPer fail, but I thought that it would be. Personally, I think that this was probably a massive mandatory beta test to see how it would work. I think they will end up defaulting to ABS, but we shall see....

(I really hope that they check these forums to see what we think...)

Make sure you are not erasing as your prompt is about to finish. This happened to me, and I missed the survey at the end. Not sure exactly how this is going to be scored :|

laaaame

I don't want to scare the crap outta you, but I read somewhere that without the survey, your CASPer results won't be scored/you won't qualify...

Anyone confirm this?

I don't want to scare the crap outta you, but I read somewhere that without the survey, your CASPer results won't be scored/you won't qualify...

Anyone confirm this?

Step 3 - Completing CASPer (October 24th or October 27th)

You must log onto CASPer at your chosen date and time slot. You will not be able to log on at any other time. Failure to complete all of CASPer, including the exit survey at the end, will result in loss of eligibility.

http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/mdprog/casper.html

Lame

Make sure you are not erasing as your prompt is about to finish. This happened to me, and I missed the survey at the end. Not sure exactly how this is going to be scored :|

laaaame

Contact CASPer support staff regarding this: 1-905-525-9140. They are supposed to be there today to answer questions regarding problems such as this one.

Ahhhh...

well if they don't score, it better news for me!!!!!

bahahaa.

i don't really see how it's my fault though because i didn't know erasing IN a textbox would screw me over :| :mad:

hoiiiiii,

i did call tech support, twice though, thanks guys :)

Sorry to hear this. Try again on Monday. I sincerely hope that they have a solution for you.

Oh man I'm sorry to hear that. You guys have enough on your plates trying to finish your theses and do well in your courses, maybe finishing up some OOP applications, and the last thing you need is to be dealing with stressful things like this. I also complained about the 5 minute limit after I took the beta test, but it looks like nothing was done about it.

I realize what many of you are saying, but....

I thought it was fun.

You have to think on your feet for a lot of things in life.

Many of these examples, you can have a storehouse of examples ready to go. You should, for any interview. Job interviews, they ask you the same questions. This is just a job interview.

I actually think they covered a wide range of scenarios, and that most of them did not require specialized knowledge. It's an MMI- done before the interview. It's a pretty excellent idea.

I definitely had fails during my test, but they weren't related to the test itself, just stuff going on in my house while i was trying to write! I'm home alone and my animals are being funny. :)

I agree with the OP. I do type pretty quickly (well over 100 wpm) but I still made sure they knew (exit survey) that the time limit was going to affect the quality of the responses severely for most.

The concept is a good one. If they were just reasonable about the time limit, it would have been a very good way to test us this year.

My feeling is that too many will complain about CASPER the way it has been presented this year and they'll go back to marking the ABS. Nothing wrong with that, good massive trial run for Mac.

Archived