Premed 101 Forums

Unite Grad Students Doing the MCAT!

lost__in__space

Okay grads, I am in my 2nd year masters and am attempting to do the MCAT (FINALLY) in January on the 29th. I thought I'd just make a thread if anyone else out there is in the same boat.

I feel overwhelmed trying to 1. write my paper 2. finish coursework 3. write my thesis while trying to study for this. But I know it's now or never as I want to write early and get ready to apply to the US (I want to write early in case I need to rewrite).

I know it can be done. I just need some support :-) It's a lot of time management and sacrifice. Ugggggggggh but I gotta just suck it up and go into hermit mode and just study.

Anyone else?

Lots of people write their MCAT while in grad school. Grad school isn't a career...just like undergrad isn't a career....it can lead to a career (though some days I felt like it was my job..ugh) Many people choose to do a masters before med to get some research experience or they're unsure of what they want to do after undergrad and are testing the research waters (me). There are tons of people in medical school with graduate degrees. My med class (Mac) has a little under 50 with or pursuing grad degrees at the time of acceptance. UofT probably has even more.

GOOD LUCK Lost_in_space!! You are going to kick some serious butt on that test. Hows the "Western" world treating you?

Lots of people write their MCAT while in grad school. Grad school isn't a career...just like undergrad isn't a career....it can lead to a career (though some days I felt like it was my job..ugh) Many people choose to do a masters before med to get some research experience or they're unsure of what they want to do after undergrad and are testing the research waters (me). There are tons of people in medical school with graduate degrees. My med class (Mac) has a little under 50 with or pursuing grad degrees at the time of acceptance. UofT probably has even more.

GOOD LUCK Lost_in_space!! You are going to kick some serious butt on that test. Hows the "Western" world treating you?

^___^ Thanks Janny!!! I finally got my butt in gear and am working on doing this! :-) Did you hear that profs might go on strike at Western? Let's hope so... so I have more time to study :P I was SO stoked about you and Mac!! How is it so far?? :)

Why are you writing MCAT if you are in grad school??? (Unless you are considering med as a second career...?)

Trust me, grad school is not a career...read Janny's explanation. About 1/2 of the grads in my program are going to be applying to meds or have already applied. I'm not going the PhD route. I just wanted to see if research is for me (which I now know, is not).

Trust me, grad school is not a career...read Janny's explanation. About 1/2 of the grads in my program are going to be applying to meds or have already applied. I'm not going the PhD route. I just wanted to see if research is for me (which I now know, is not).

You can do research in undergrad too. Just saying, cuz you just wasted a couple of years. :confused:

A masters is a useful degree when applying to competitive specialties. So it's NOT a waste of time.

But doing a masters just to get into medical school is a waste of time because it really isn't helping you prepare for medical school :P

LOL i'll keep my mouth shut... its good that you guys are finding positive things about your degree as you've spent quite some time in it.

btw have you guys written the GRE before?

• 2 weeks later...
You can do research in undergrad too. Just saying, cuz you just wasted a couple of years. :confused:

LOL that's true you can do research in undergrad. But doing a master's isn't a waste. You can do more meaningful research as a master's student than what you could accomplish as an undergrad (unless you are super dedicated like one person I know who spent all their time outside of undergrad in the lab) but you also learn a lot of other skills like presenting, analytical thinking, how to work independently, etc. etc. I learned more in my masters (both about myself and about subjects) than I EVER did in undergrad. I'm not here to defend my choice or path, but it's pretty close-minded to ever think of a masters as a waste of years.

Indeed we do, 40% of the 2014 class had a graduate degree at the time of entry to the MD program.

BTW, the years I spent in grad school were probably the best years of my life. I met amazingly smart and talented people, got to travel all over the world, and had time to pursue things outside of school/the premed vortex. There is no rush to get into medicine, enjoy the journey.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived