Premed 101 Forums

The Dilemma

I'm really thinking hard about whether or not I should do the International school thing. I'll lay down everything as it stands.

My CGPA is 2.66 on a 4 year undergraduate degree in Physiology at UofT.

My last 10 credits (10/20) have been at a 3.19.

Now, I've always really wanted to pursue a career in medicine, but my transcript reflects my inability to do so. I've always thought of myself as an above average student in terms of problem solving/thinking but have now come to a realization that I'm an idiot and probably don't have what it takes. However, I'm willing to give it another try.

I'm looking at either applying to offshore medical schools (Carib, Aus, Ireland) or staying in Canada and doing another degree.

With the schools off-shore, I've been reading that government regulations are only becoming more strict, an increasing number of offshore students are finding no way back into the country. If I consider going this route, I'd be a graduate four years from 2011, 2015. My other issue with going offshore is that I really value my social circle, I'd like to meet new people that I'd stay in touch with during my studies. With offshore schools such as these, since getting a job is a crap shoot, I don't believe making connections is possible. You can say that I value a good time/ good friends over my job.

My other option, what I am leaning on now (within the hour), is to re-apply to an undergraduate degree/ nursing /masters degree. However, my CPGA is too low to apply to ANY universities that I'd want to go to, even so, It's probably too low to apply to any university. I DO NOT want to stay at U of T.

I'm really liking the nurse route but every university I've looked at requires a 75% average, 3.2. I'm at a 3.19 as stated above. I have tons of extra-curricular but not so much academic. All the nursing programs I've looked at require a minimum of 3.2 average, I'm assuming that's a hard cut-off. Even then, apply with lower than minimum is futile. Also, even If I do get in, (I'd prefer to get into McGills Masters of Nursing direct entry program), OMSAS does not look at masters programs, so this degree would only be useful If i pursue nursing.. correct?

Anyways, thanks for reading all this. I'm in my 5th year finishing up three courses (hence not a full course load and the grades I'm earning now will probably be ignored by most schools, albeit I'm doing good). I feel as If I've wasted my time and money in undergrad, as I won't be able to a) find a job I LIKE and B) re-apply for another undergrad.

Thanks for reading this.. thanks even if you didn't get to this point. I appreciate the feedback, flaming or any of the above.

Now, I've always really wanted to pursue a career in medicine, but my transcript reflects my inability to do so. I've always thought of myself as an above average student in terms of problem solving/thinking but have now come to a realization that I'm an idiot and probably don't have what it takes. However, I'm willing to give it another try.

I'm looking at either applying to offshore medical schools (Carib, Aus, Ireland) or staying in Canada and doing another degree.

first off, let me say- the negative self talk isn't going to help your situation... and yes it is a situation. i'm not going to comment on your grades because that's not the point of this post... the point is to find out what options you have... and yes you have options.

With the schools off-shore, I've been reading that government regulations are only becoming more strict, an increasing number of offshore students are finding no way back into the country. If I consider going this route, I'd be a graduate four years from 2011, 2015. My other issue with going offshore is that I really value my social circle, I'd like to meet new people that I'd stay in touch with during my studies. With offshore schools such as these, since getting a job is a crap shoot, I don't believe making connections is possible. You can say that I value a good time/ good friends over my job.

If medicine is what you want to do and you have no other options available then the choice is clear- go international... you'll find a job somewhere and if you ride the apple cart long enough you should get back to where you want to be- although it may be in a less specialized field than you originally anticipated.

My other option, what I am leaning on now (within the hour), is to re-apply to an undergraduate degree/ nursing /masters degree. However, my CPGA is too low to apply to ANY universities that I'd want to go to, even so, It's probably too low to apply to any university. I DO NOT want to stay at U of T.

If this is what you want to do- research the schools you want to attend and contact their respective admissions advisors to determine whether or not you can apply with what you have... also if you post a specific masters program at a specific university you may get some information from different members on this forum.

I'm really liking the nurse route but every university I've looked at requires a 75% average, 3.2. I'm at a 3.19 as stated above. I have tons of extra-curricular but not so much academic. All the nursing programs I've looked at require a minimum of 3.2 average, I'm assuming that's a hard cut-off. Even then, apply with lower than minimum is futile. Also, even If I do get in, (I'd prefer to get into McGills Masters of Nursing direct entry program), OMSAS does not look at masters programs, so this degree would only be useful If i pursue nursing.. correct?

For any information on whether or not your 3.19 in your last 10 credits (I'm assuming this is equal to two full time years) will be good enough for a specific program you should just ask the program and be done with it... at least that is what I would do. There are schools that will look at masters degrees, second undergrad degrees, your best two years, your final two years, drop 30 credits if you have a degree etc... still lots of things out there for you to consider... don't give up just yet.

As for nursing- I would say, and this is just a personal opinion, avoid entering the program unless you are planning on becoming a nurse... I get it- people want to improve their situation and build up their resume/life experience/application, but you should try and focus on taking a degree that will put you in a place that will make you happy if you do not get into medicine because let's face it- getting into medicine isn't a guarantee, even if you have stellar grades...

Anyways, thanks for reading all this. I'm in my 5th year finishing up three courses (hence not a full course load and the grades I'm earning now will probably be ignored by most schools, albeit I'm doing good). I feel as If I've wasted my time and money in undergrad, as I won't be able to a) find a job I LIKE and B) re-apply for another undergrad.

Thanks for reading this.. thanks even if you didn't get to this point. I appreciate the feedback, flaming or any of the above.

So, the main points you should take from this:

1. avoid negative self talk... it just makes people feel sad

2. talk with the schools you are interested in... they will have answers

3. provide specific information on this forum about programs you would like to attend and people will most likely give you some sweet information

4. consider international schools if you are not able/willing to stay in canada to upgrade or attend medical school- because international medical school is still better than no medical school

5. if upgrading, consider a program that you would like/enjoy working in if you didn't get into medicine

6. work hard at whatever you end up doing and that is all you can ask for

Good luck.

I think you should ask yourself if you are capable of getting a 3.8GPA. If you can't see yourself doing that, even with all the motivating factors of your previous failures and the maturity, then get out now while it's not too late. Medical school is not easier than undergraduate school and if you can't cut it in undergrad, then you won't do well in medicine.

Your biggest chance at landing a residency as a FMG is the states and the #1 deciding factor there are test scores.

hey so first of all dont be so hard on yourself. youve gone through a lot here and take this as a learning experience so that you can grow and become a better student and eventually a better doctor so be positive and keep focused.

I just want to point out something that a 75% average for nursings at UT and York is a 3.0 not a 3.2. So in fact your last five credits would make you competitive enough for consideration. So i would say go ahead and apply! also are you sure you are not able to transfer because again at YORK for example the minimum needed to transfer is a cGPA of 2.0 (C+) and for transfer credits you need above a 60% in your courses. all this comes from their website under university/transfer student. SO i do do believe you have a chance at both nursing and transfering schools. do a bit more reserach and ull find a lot of things u can apply for.

hope this helps!

I agree with bloh - I know this forum is great for positive thinking and encouragement but at some point in your life you really need to sit down and be a realist. Premed 101 emphasizes the exception, not the rule. And the truth is the majority of us are "the rule", not the person who will get into medicine when they're 35 and have taken an extremely long and dedicated path to get there. Props to the people who do, but they're a minority for sure.

The people who end up coming back from international schools are the cream of their crop - the ones who could impress in American clerkship rotations and the ones who pulled off impressive USMLE scores. If being the top at an international school isn't likely, then consider whether you'd rather be doing a career that is your second choice, or straddled with hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt you can't pay off anymore.

For most people, moving up ever 0.1 in GPA requires a ton of work and determination. Medicine isn't the be all end all in life - there are so many people out there who have changed their minds and ended up in a satisfying, enjoyable career. Consider medicine, but consider other options that won't require you giving up everything in your life for a risky shot at it. Nursing, PT, OT, RT, Pharmacy and nutrition are all health care related programs that don't require 4 years of schooling + 2-5 years of residency.

I'm really thinking hard about whether or not I should do the International school thing. I'll lay down everything as it stands.

My CGPA is 2.66 on a 4 year undergraduate degree in Physiology at UofT.

My last 10 credits (10/20) have been at a 3.19.

I'm not one to give false praise. I don't think you're an idiot with those grades. If medicine is what you truly want, I would do whatever it took, no matter how long and how much debt I'd incur. I think going offshore isn't a bad idea. Yes, it maybe very difficult to get back into Canada - and you may never do it. But medicine can be done anywhere in the world. Yes, leaving friends and family is tough, but seeing new parts of the world is awesome too. Some day after you make a fortune as an MD working in the Bahamas, you can move back to Canada and be a medical consultant or something.

Don't give up the dream!

My solution may sound simple but here it is anyways.

If medicine is truly what you want to do...pursue it with all of your might. Do a second undergrad in something that genuinely interests you and offers a career. Pick an institution that is student friendly (small university) and will give you as many transfer credits as possible so you can graduate within two years. Try to take courses that are 3rd year in your discipline. Get a killer GPA. After your first year, write the MCAT and apply to western (Getting a good GPA is the easy part, it's getting an MCAT score that meets the cut-offs that can be tricky). Hopefully, you get the numbers that you need and apply to western. If it doesn't work out, apply the following year (w. two GPA years) to Dal, Queens and Western. If that doesn't work out....do a masters degree. The reason why I said to take courses that are mostly 3rd year and above is that way you can meet the admission requirements for a masters degree. Just make sure that you do not repeat any courses that you took during your 1st undergrad cause western won't consider that course. If you repeat a course, it has to be in addition to your 5 FCE.

ps. if you do something like nursing, then you will have to start from scratch

...but then you could apply to ottawa.

pps. the sooner you start studying for the MCAT, the sooner you'll get the score you need and you won't have to go through the master's route!

best of luck

________

CB450SC

Archived