Premed 101 Forums

Rewriting Casper

McMaster just sent out an email to those who experienced CASPer technical difficulties. It says that they reviewed the log files in "exhaustive detail" and mentioned that "Applicants with fewer than nine successfully completed sections must rewrite CASPer, on our backup online date of Thursday, November 25th, 2010."

This is pretty big news. What do you guys think of this?

Good job McMaster?

It's not like doing it once will help you do it again.

I guess this makes it pretty clear they look at only 9 sections. I wonder how they eliminate sections (obviously ones that are incomplete... but which other ones.. worst?)

Good job McMaster?

It's not like doing it once will help you do it again.

I guess this makes it pretty clear they look at only 9 sections. I wonder how they eliminate sections (obviously ones that are incomplete... but which other ones.. worst?)

I would imagine that eliminating sections at random would be the most fair.

I think they said they're just going to average all of the sections completed, i dont think they'll eliminate the "best" or "worst".

I feel the people who get to rewrite might be at an advantage though. Time to reflect on some answers/solutions now that they know what kind of questions will be asked.

@blondie87 - I agree with you. I think those re-writting will have an advantage. A lot of us jumped into this w/o having any idea of how it would look like, while those re-writting have already had a chance to experiment with the test. But it's not like we can do anything about it.

@blondie87 - I agree with you. I think those re-writting will have an advantage. A lot of us jumped into this w/o having any idea of how it would look like, while those re-writting have already had a chance to experiment with the test. But it's not like we can do anything about it.

Oh they'll definitely normalize the scores for the re-writers with respect to the regular cohort.

Technically, that should take care of the disparity in attempts. But some people will still end up scoring better than they should have(i.e. without a second try), and some will not.

I got an email saying I did not have to re-write it, and it said that they sent the email to anyone who had contacted them about Casper for any reason. I called them because I got to the 100% complete screen and didn't get a confirmation email. So if you didn't contact them and you completed more than 9 sections, I'm assuming you wouldn't get an email.

I don't know how that's fair, getting a second chance to write. I wish they released more information about how they go about grading these things and correcting errors.

Guess it's kinda lose-lose. If they told us a make-up would happen if CASPer failed the first time, I bet people would purposely make it fail to see what it was like and what everyone else thought, then do the later re-write.

I suppose that's a problem for the applicant pool as a whole in the coming years!

Archived