Premed 101 Forums

what is ottawa known for

Guest interested

Guest interested

In comparison to the other medical schools, what makes ottawa stand out. What does it have to offer that other schools dont, or dont have that good. I would be interested to hear from the current medical students or anyone else.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest christieperry

Hi there,

I am not a current student but I know that it is the structure of their program that differs from most other medical school. Like McMaster, it utililizes a small group, problem-based learning approach rather than the traditional lecturing method of other medical schools. Some feel that this appoach is better because it provides the students with a learning tool that they can use throughout their career. It also allows them to work in an environment more closely reflecting that of "the real world", allowing them to gain the skills they will require to succeed.

If anyone knows any other information, please let me know.

Christie

Guest christieperry

Hi there,

I am not a current student but I know that it is the structure of their program that differs from most other medical school. Like McMaster, it utilizes a small group, problem-based learning approach rather than the traditional lecturing method of other medical schools. Some feel that this approach is better because it provides the students with a learning tool that they can use throughout their career. It also allows them to work in an environment more closely reflecting that of "the real world", allowing them to gain the skills they will require to succeed.

If anyone knows any other information, please let me know.

Christie

all med schools now have PBL, but varies as to how much......even traditional school like UT.......so it is not unique......Mac just have lots and lots of it Wonder how their med students' base knowledge is though,and it is for this very reason, some people would not want to apply to Mac (like me), and because it does not require MCat, it is for this very reason why tons of people applied there, plus the selection process is not much different from a lottery.

Archived