Premed 101 Forums

Self-Taught Science for MCAT Realistic?

lm203

Hi,

I've recently finished my first year of a U of T Bsci Psychology program, and am aspiring to become a psychiatrist.

I have a strong background in biology and quite enjoy/do well with the material, so I am unconcerned about this component of the MCAT exam. As for the chemistry and physics, however, I am wondering how possible you - those who have written the exam - feel that these components of the exam may be self-taught with a lot of dedication and help from MCAT prep books, courses, etc? While I have always excelled in my science courses, I did not take chemistry+psychics all the way to the grade 12 level for various reasons, but I will be taking introductory chemistry courses (though possibly not until after writing the exam). I am aware that it will be more difficult in this way, but is it feasible to excel on the exam regardless?

Moreover, if self-taught, do you think that the admissions committee might recognize this and look positively upon the initiative and self-determination?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks!

** I am aware that some schools require certain prerequisites such as organic chemistry. I plan only to apply to those that require basic biology+chemistry coursework/any work in the sciences (my neuropsych courses, etc).

As for the chemistry and physics, however, I am wondering how possible you - those who have written the exam - feel that these components of the exam may be self-taught with a lot of dedication and help from MCAT prep books, courses, etc?

Yes.

I am aware that it will be more difficult in this way, but is it feasible to excel on the exam regardless?

Redundant question. Yes.

Moreover, if self-taught, do you think that the admissions committee might recognize this and look positively upon the initiative and self-determination?

Lol, no. How are they to know you taught yourself sciences for the MCAT?

I think this will be EXTREMELY difficult. I would not undertake this, and instead write the MCAT after you take an MCAT prep course (which still relies on a foundation in science...) or a year or two of science courses.

Scoring well on the MCAT is dependent on a strong science foundation and the confidence to use your knowledge fast. I do not think it is possible to teach yourself this unless you are extremely intelligent and very hard-working.

I wrote my MCAT after my third year of life sciences and got a 12 in both science sections; I probably could have gotten the same score after first year and a summer of hard work. But not before first year!

Bottom line: I strongly recommend not doing this. But good luck to you, whatever you end up choosing.

It is possible, but it will be a challenge.

I did engineering and had no bio and orgo knowledge, I got a ton of MCAT books and taught myself. I did ok and came out with a 10 in the biological sciences section. However, fast forward a few years, now I'm in a life science degree and just wrote the MCAT again and got a 13. Courses in this area will definitely make the MCAT a lot easier.

It sounds like you are missing chemistry, organic chemistry and physics. Keep in mind most people writing the MCAT, the sciences are the easy sections for them, and it allows them to focus studying on the verbal and writing. If you don't have a firm background in the sciences it will be an additional challenge.

Why not pick these courses up in the summer where they won't harm your GPA? Otherwise be sure that you have a big chunk of time to dedicate to MCAT studying.

I found that studying those subjects specifically for the MCAT was a lot more high-yield than taking physics/chemistry courses. My first practice run on the physical sciences section was pretty bad even though I had taken all of the appropriate courses (and then some). Going through EK once by myself significantly improved my score.

I think it's possible, especially if you're a good independent learner. But it will be difficult.

ExamKrackers does a marvelous job of teaching the science, though I think you may need to supplement with some actual textbooks where you're unclear.

Stay away from the awful Kaplan Premier book. What a waste of my $120.

Why not pick these courses up in the summer where they won't harm your GPA? Otherwise be sure that you have a big chunk of time to dedicate to MCAT studying.

Aren't these classes still seen by the admission committees/calculated into your cGPA?

Definitely possible!!!!!!!

I took AP Chemistry and Physics and Biology and was exempted from first year courses of these.

I didn't take any Physics since then, and I didn't take any Inorganic chemistry during my undergraduate studies.

I took organic chem and one physical chem course (CHM220 at UT). But my organic chem courses did not cover all of the org chem in the MCAT.

For biology, I have a strong background in molecular biology but I have absolutely none in microbio or physiology (except for the nervous system)

For physiology, I basically studied everything about the bone, skin, endocrine systems from the EK package ONLY.

I studied using the Examkrackers Package + EK 101 Passages for Verbal + TPR Verbal Workbook.

I did 3 AAMC practice exams (3, 9, 10) and they were REALLY helpful.

I found that the EK package reviews the materials REALLY well.

I ended up getting 12/12/12/R on my first try (I was VERRRYYY lucky on the verbal and the writing sections)

I would constantly get 13s and 14s on the AAMC practice exams for both BS and PS.

It is DEFINITELY possible if you are confident enough. I ended up spending less than $400 for the MCAT and it was definitely worth it.

If you are really confident, I don't think you should waste your precious money on the MCAT Prep courses (really they're there to make you STUDY).

i didn't have any physics and barely any bio (as in no hs bio and intro cell and evolution classes) when i took it, because I didn't choose med till halfway through my degree, and i ended up good on the science sections (10s)... so it's possible, but you have to work extremely hard. You can definitely give it a shot and probably get a decent score, but personally, I'd just write it after 2nd year with some of those intro courses under my belt... I know if I would have wrote it after I did imin, micro, physiology, advanced chem and all that jazz my science scores would have been quite a bit higher

if you do decide to take it, id recommend examcrackers, buy them at the book store or just download them on torrent

the adcom won't even know it was self taught, they don't pay that much attention, so i wouldnt worry about that

good luck in your psych program, it's a really fun interdisciplinary degree, plus psychiatry rocks (in my often disagreed with opinion)!

Hi,

I've recently finished my first year of a U of T Bsci Psychology program, and am aspiring to become a psychiatrist.

I have a strong background in biology and quite enjoy/do well with the material, so I am unconcerned about this component of the MCAT exam. As for the chemistry and physics, however, I am wondering how possible you - those who have written the exam - feel that these components of the exam may be self-taught with a lot of dedication and help from MCAT prep books, courses, etc? While I have always excelled in my science courses, I did not take chemistry+psychics all the way to the grade 12 level for various reasons, but I will be taking introductory chemistry courses (though possibly not until after writing the exam). I am aware that it will be more difficult in this way, but is it feasible to excel on the exam regardless?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks!

** I am aware that some schools require certain prerequisites such as organic chemistry. I plan only to apply to those that require basic biology+chemistry coursework/any work in the sciences (my neuropsych courses, etc).

I also wrote the first time "on a lark" with little background. I'd done really well in high school physics, but that was 8yrs earlier. My chem, not strong. My bio, I hadn't taken any since grade 12, and I had never done organic.

I was working full-time and studied for about 2 months in the mornings before work. I pulled off a 27S, not stellar, but enought that I realised my potential and started on my path. :)

I used EK as well and can't recommend them enough!

If you have the $ and time to spare, a prep course might be really useful, especially if you are ne of those people who can't learn from a book very easily.

From your post, it looks like you have no organic background, please be aware that the "biological sciences" section is actually bio AND organic chem!

Hi there,

I wrote the MCAT this past summer and was in the same boat. I taught myself from multiple study guides. I also found a tutor who I could call when I couldn't understand something. It's definitely possible. I suggest finding a tutor or friend who is knowledgeable in physics and physical chemistry when you need. I only ended up needing a few sessions with the tutor and it was certainly less expensive than a >$1000 MCAT course.

For physics and chemistry I found the EK and Gold standard books/videos to be the most helpful - the EK 1001 question books are also awesome!

I ended up having my best score in BS (expected) and my second best was in PS which I was really happy about. So if you put in the time and effort it's certainly achievable! Admission committees will not ask, nor care how you prepared for your MCAT, they are only concerned with your mark.

Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but first year chemistry and biology are prerequisites for most med schools, as is Organic Chemistry I/II.

If you write the MCAT after you finish these prerequisites, you will be adequately prepared to write the PS and BS sections with only a little freshing up on first-year physics (if for some reason you refused to take it).

And you should bank on doing those prereqs unless you're applying specifically to schools that don't require them. But why miss out on other schools?

Bottom line: Take first year chemistry, physics, and biology, and intro organic chem., and you won't even need to prepare for the MCAT.

Archived