Premed 101 Forums

Interview invites!!

Guys,

I have to ask. Am I the only one who received a last 60 credit average calculation of 0.00%??

My overall is a 84.5 (which shows up on the evaluation) and my last 60 is an 87.5 or so (but my evaluation file says 0.00%). Now my AQ reads 9/25? Did my overall average not make a cut or something as OOP? Just mind boggling.

Received a NAQ of 18.55 which I am happy with considering how strictly this section is marked.

I may not make the cutoff even if me AQ is adjusted (since I need 37.7-18.55 = 19.15 AQ points) but I would obviously appreciate having my last 60 calculated. Not sure if this is relevant but my prereq average also reads 0.00% (I don't think this affects the AQ though?).

Ugh...effing tough. Just lost a championship game for the ages and came back to find this crap in my inbox.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you ask me, this is really bogus...they changed it so that NAQ was weighted more what, around 5-7 years ago? Now they're changing it back because everybody who gets in (presumably) doesn't study well enough?

Seriously...UBC is on some sort of hallucinogenic, psychoactive drug.

I guess I have one chance to pull mark up, and that is last 60.

I'm IP btw.

Oh and the best part was: I didn't even GET a rejection email. I had to go and check it.

I'd like to hear from someone who got an interview invite.

Guys,

I have to ask. Am I the only one who received a last 60 credit average calculation of 0.00%??

My overall is a 84.5 (which shows up on the evaluation) and my last 60 is an 87.5 or so (but my evaluation file says 0.00%). Now my AQ reads 9/25? Did my overall average not make a cut or something as OOP? Just mind boggling.

Received a NAQ of 18.55 which I am happy with considering how strictly this section is marked.

I may not make the cutoff even if me AQ is adjusted (since I need 37.7-18.55 = 19.15 AQ points) but I would obviously appreciate having my last 60 calculated. Not sure if this is relevant but my prereq average also reads 0.00% (I don't think this affects the AQ though?).

Did you get a full file review? Last year I got only a partial, and there was no last 60 calculated.

???

Worth checking into.

Guys,

Ugh...effing tough. Just lost a championship game for the ages and came back to find this crap in my inbox.

Contact them.

I don't think it's enough for a 19.15, but it's definitely worth the shot.

Nice NAQ.

Did you get a full file review? Last year I got only a partial, and there was no last 60 calculated.

???

Worth checking into.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have all my prereqs, MCAT of 12/9/12/R, have graduated from U/T already so have my degree (ie more than 90 credits).

I sent a message through the mailbox just now. It doesn't say partial file review anywhere for me.

Probably would make sense to give them a call.

^HBP: Yeah, I figure it won't be enough judging loosely from this thread. But worth a shot. If they recalculate I'll probably be a point or two below on the AQ. Barring them taking into account rigor of program (my entire undergrad has been course overloads).

sorry to hear it huskie.

I have no publications, but got 19

I am really thinking its in the wording and the organization of your activities.

Sigh, this has always been the truth for many years. It is not a tightly held secret among the esoteric inner circle. Usually it takes one rejection for it to finally sink into people's head, but the smart ones would have looked at old posts and realized it quicker.

To the person who suggested the AQ being on a curve, very interesting idea. I never thought of it that way before but it's one of those things where you hear it and immediately get that, "oh, that makes a lot of sense", moment. Just like,

... Two adults were talking among their friends. They say that they were born 10 minutes apart, have the same mother and father, but are not twins. How is this possible?...... :D :D

Sigh, this has always been the truth for many years. It is not a tightly held secret among the esoteric inner circle. Usually it takes one rejection for it to finally sink into people's head, but the smart ones would have looked at old posts and realized it quicker.

To the person who suggested the AQ being on a curve, very interesting idea. I never thought of it that way before but it's one of those things where you hear it and immediately get that, "oh, that makes a lot of sense", moment. Just like,

... Two adults were talking among their friends. They say that they were born 10 minutes apart, have the same mother and father, but are not twins. How is this possible?...... :D :D

They're two of triplets! Or any other kind of multiple

very disappointed with the results. Regrets after interview during 2009/2010 application cycle. Here is the brief summary of my last year scores as compared this year. Do not apply to UBC anymore

OOP

2009/2010 application cycle

Total File Review (/50): 42.84

Academic Qualities (/25): 24.40

Non Academic Qualities (/25): 18.44

2010/2011 application cycle

Total File Review (/50): 32.74

Academic Qualities (/25): 17.00

Non Academic Qualities (/25): 15.74

OMSAS GPA 3.89

These stats are in the light of the fact that I had additional extracurricular /volunteer activities and my accumulative GPA and MCAT score was higher this year.

Hi

Rejected IP

Pre Avg: 83.46

OGPA: 80.69

Final 60: 82.21

TFR: 24.17

AQ: 10.50

NAQ: 13.67

I was extremely angry, then sad and now disillusioned.

BTW: also made use of 10-year rule (which may be out next year) = clusterfu**

I'm going to have look for a 'real' job now: FML

over and out

P.S.

Does anyone remember last years Average TFR? This would be extremely helpful this years was 32.29

So do you think it is safe to assume that invitations for interviews will take place tomorrow or will there be more regrets?

Ab

Hard to say - there's still 3 more days left until they finish notifications. It would be nice to think that there will be no more regrets, but at this point I doubt it. Best of luck to everyone!

I've seen allusions to "next week" a few times. Aren't they still saying that they'll get invitations out to us by the 23rd? Have the communicated that it might spill over into next week?

If so, that's not very fair, because people who know this week will be able to book their times starting this Friday!

So do you think it is safe to assume that invitations for interviews will take place tomorrow or will there be more regrets?

Ab

I hope they've finished with the IP regrets already! I'm having a heart attack every time I check my mailbox.

My GPA stats:

Overall: 86.25

Prereqs: 86.50

Last 60: 85.63

From the looks of things, AQ could be anywhere between 13 and 19!

without looking too much into the stats because i'm on a netbook and even typing this post out is a pain in the ass... if we say that pm101 is fairly representative of the applicant pool... we could make some sort of estimate as to whether or not regrets will continue tomorrow... that would require a lot of grunt work that i just don't want to do right now.

i'd like to think that this rush of emails/notifications was the last of regrets... but you just can't tell until people start saying IP Invite/OOP Invite...

either way, we will know more tomorrow.

good luck

Ab

I've seen allusions to "next week" a few times. Aren't they still saying that they'll get invitations out to us by the 23rd? Have the communicated that it might spill over into next week?

If so, that's not very fair, because people who know this week will be able to book their times starting this Friday!

Noo, the booking system doesn't open until the 23rd.

Right from the OAS:

Application status updates (regrets and interview invitations) will be sent between November 15 - 23, 2010. For those invited to interview, the interview RSVP booking system will be open between November 23 - December 1, 2010, 12:00 p.m. (noon) Pacific Time.

Noo, the booking system doesn't open until the 23rd.

Right from the OAS:

Application status updates (regrets and interview invitations) will be sent between November 15 - 23, 2010. For those invited to interview, the interview RSVP booking system will be open between November 23 - December 1, 2010, 12:00 p.m. (noon) Pacific Time.

Uh. Ok I have NO idea what month's calendar I was looking at. Somehow I thought the 23rd was a Friday... I stand corrected.

Archived