Premed 101 Forums

Need your expert opinions...

JP2118

Hi all,

I took the MCAT twice so far (once in the summer of 2007, the second time in 2008). I took the Kaplan in-class course first, and then the second time around I took the Kaplan online course. I'm writing again because while science sections were good, my VR stank. I'm preparing for Sciences by going through my Kaplan prep books from 2008, and the VR by using Examkrackers. I'm hoping to get online access to Kaplan's timed tests as well. I'm writing at the end of January, I will be able to nearly the sciences from the books by mid-December (I'm hoping). I'm in grad school, and obviously have to take this into consideration. Do you think this is sufficient/okay? BTW I also have my lesson book from 2008 and it's all filled in.

Hi all,

I took the MCAT twice so far (once in the summer of 2007, the second time in 2008). I took the Kaplan in-class course first, and then the second time around I took the Kaplan online course. I'm writing again because while science sections were good, my VR stank. I'm preparing for Sciences by going through my Kaplan prep books from 2008, and the VR by using Examkrackers. I'm hoping to get online access to Kaplan's timed tests as well. I'm writing at the end of January, I will be able to nearly the sciences from the books by mid-December (I'm hoping). I'm in grad school, and obviously have to take this into consideration. Do you think this is sufficient/okay? BTW I also have my lesson book from 2008 and it's all filled in.

Your plan sounds reasonable but the fact that you are posting about it suggests that you have concerns - which ultimately is the real point :)

What do you think will be your major issue in doing well this time? (VR?) When are you hoping to do your first diagnositic test?

Your plan sounds reasonable but the fact that you are posting about it suggests that you have concerns - which ultimately is the real point :)

What do you think will be your major issue in doing well this time? (VR?) When are you hoping to do your first diagnositic test?

I'm not necessarily concerned, just curious...I would say at this point, VR, but I'm hoping to ace that this time around because I'm trying something completely different. I'm not sure yet about the test, but I'm planning, once I've completed my contextual review of the material, to just go through one timed test after another.

if you feel your VR is weak, you should definitely focus on that. Sounds like you've already decided to do examkrackers, which I think helped me the most on VR (Interesting reads, questions in the 'mcat' style). I also did the old format for the EK, so it was a bit longer than the true MCAT verbal section. I found this actually helped my 'endurance' and I was able to stay focused for longer on the real MCAT.

I did the kaplan course, but didn't find it too helpful. The practice exams/AAMC exams were probably what I benefited from the most. I don't like the style of the kaplan verbal section, the questions seem to be artificially complex, which is then rectified with a much larger curve.

Can't speak personally about princeton, but I've heard from friends it was decent.

Archived