Premed 101 Forums

Recruitment Letters, Washington State?

Ahhdumb

Hey so just wrote my MCATs this summer and applied to medicine at U of A, U of C.

But yesterday in the mail I got a letter from Washington State University congratulating me on my mark (39Q) and what not and saying I should consider their school.

Does this kind of letter get sent out to like every other kid who wrote the MCAT? Or does it actually mean something?

Hey so just wrote my MCATs this summer and applied to medicine at U of A, U of C.

But yesterday in the mail I got a letter from Washington State University congratulating me on my mark (39Q) and what not and saying I should consider their school.

Does this kind of letter get sent out to like every other kid who wrote the MCAT? Or does it actually mean something?

i'd say it means something... did you try calling them?

that would be your first step.

then make sure you have the pre-reqs... most american schools require two courses of organic chem (from my limited exposure/experience)

then make sure you have the monies...

Washington St. Louis also sent me a letter last year. As they do to everyone who has a high mcat (35+ I think). They are no more likely to accept you. Don't apply unless you actually wanted to.

But how good is that school actually?

The letter would at least indicate that you hit some part of their admission criteria.

UW and WSU are two totally different schools. UW is a great med school that unfortunately doesnt accept Canadians. WSU doesnt have a med school as far as i know. Congrats on the nice MCAT score.

Yeah, i know WSU has no med school. I made the assumption that the OP must have meant UW or else this thread would be totally pointless and I've been trolled.

While a fool is parted with his money, a bigger fool well just get fooled. Sigh.

But how good is that school actually?

The letter would at least indicate that you hit some part of their admission criteria.

It's very true. I can assure you I wasn't being overwhelmed with letters like that. :)

But yeah -- make sure the school you're applying to accepts Canadians.

• 1 month later...
I think WSU is pretty good as a med school. But not totally amazing (they have good scholarships though). I honestly believe they spam people with high mcats though. Their interview mcat average is 36 so thats kind of necessary. :rolleyes:

Considering WSU doesn't have a medical school, I wouldn't bother applying.

Lol washington university does have a medical school...

They are ranked top (if not #1) among harvard and hopkins, and have been for years...

and they are the only school whose admission avg is >3.9 for an american medical school, with avg MCAT 12.3

It's a great school thats not an ivy league, and thus they are open to international students - like the best (Harvard, Hopkins, etc) they are very open to international studetns and it's becuase they want the best and brightest minds out there

Lol washington university does have a medical school...

They are ranked top (if not #1) among harvard and hopkins, and have been for years...

and they are the only school whose admission avg is >3.9 for an american medical school, with avg MCAT 12.3

It's a great school thats not an ivy league, and thus they are open to international students - like the best (Harvard, Hopkins, etc) they are very open to international studetns and it's becuase they want the best and brightest minds out there

Repeat: WSU = Washington State University in Pullman, Washington (no med school). The highly ranked medical school sending out recruitment letters is Washington University in St. Louis.

Repeat: WSU = Washington State University in Pullman, Washington (no med school). The highly ranked medical school sending out recruitment letters is Washington University in St. Louis.

yeah thats what i meant, the one based in st. louis - a friend of mine goes there thats how i heard about it - suprisingly no one has heard about this university

yeah thats what i meant, the one based in st. louis - a friend of mine goes there thats how i heard about it - suprisingly no one has heard about this university

You have to be living under a rock to not have heard about this university. The confusion in this thread was because ignorant canadians think that there is only one "washington" university when in fact there are A LOT.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, Wash U in St Louis is a great school. Very stats heavy though and that's all they care about. Univ of Washington in Seattle will not look at Canadians (unless MD/PhD) and they do not send out recruitment letters. Given St Louis or Seattle, I would pick Seattle in a heart beat.

Archived