Premed 101 Forums

non-trad advice needed

Strongly considering moving to Yukon, which would make me IP for next cycle. Before I make this move, I need to have all my info!

I am looking for advice specific to UofC, please. If anyone has knowledge on their process in particular, and how they might view my app, please let me know!

-Since 2001, always above a 3.6

-2007-2009, school FT including summers, 7 terms straight, often with course overload

-Best 2 are 3.67 when averaged

-MCAT 33R, rewriting at some point next summer and I expect 36+, have gotten S and R on my 2 MCATs but have not written since 2007 so I need to rewrite soon. I expect 36+ because I have MUCH more education in all areas of the MCAT since my last sitting, and it is an exam very well-suited to my strengths (it's a test of human endurance!)

-ECs are pretty good, but I am a mature applicant, and I know they look at that. For reference, my ECs score given by UBC his year was higher than the average of all applicants offered interviews, including OOPs

-Lots of good refs available, employment, research, volunteer may be weak but I have plans for this next year that will give me an awesome one.

Here is the bad part:

1st yr- 1998- 2.7 GPA

2nd yr- 1999- 0.48 GPA (no typo there)

Sooo…. will my poor record from >10yrs ago DQ me?

Is there such thing as special consideration? There is a spot for additional info, but how many chars do you get for it?

I really do think that my academic record since 2007 is pretty good (not stellar), and shows I can handle academic rigor.

Please advise. Someone must have insight into how they will look at my file?

I'll call the office on Mon and ask them too.

From all the stuff I've read (I spend a lot of time obsessing about the UofC because it's my top choice school), I think you would have a decent chance if you were IP. I just looked at my UofC application, and the additional info section says "You have a maximum of 59 lines". Also, wouldn't moving to the Yukon make you IP for Saskatchewan and Manitoba as well? I think I've read that somewhere. That would be an added bonus. I have a friend who's working in the Yukon right now, and she absolutely loves it up there.

If you are IP they will consider looking at your overall app based on making the 3.2 two-yr GPA cut off.

At that point, they are going to look at all years of courses. GPA is scored in a funky way, nobody really know how. Based on everything else you've listed here, I think even if the first 2 years of GPA impact your academic score you can make it up in other areas. Worth the ~$125 for applying if you become IP!

Archived