Slots: - 2 USB,

- 1 Parallel,

- 1 9-pin Serial,

- 1 Type 1/II or 1 Type III PCMCI

Battery: Lithium Ion

Display: 15" TFT XGA screen (1024 x 768) active matrix

Operating system: Windows XP

Warranty: 3 Years on-site

however: weight: 3,6kg and 4,6 cm thick! (o.

Guest shkelo

I assume these are the specs of the new laptops for next year's med class. What video card/software does it come with and how much does it cost? Any firewire or USB 2.0 inputs or video out capabilities?

Guest PeterHill0501

Jules,

Sounds excellent...thanks for the post. Do they provide decent bags as well? What about extra batteries? Also, what software is typically loaded when you get the machine? Finally, what about the cost...still around the 4K mark?

Peter

Guest jules

I thought that the laptop was included in the very high tuition fee med students pay. Anyway, Office Xp is included and I don't think the administration has forgoten to add a case in the deal! :wink: As for batteries, i doubt very much...

Guest shkelo

Ho yah, laptop expenses are on top of tuition costs, meaning med students entering 1st year will be doling out over $17,000 in the first month ($12,500 tuition + $3800 laptop + ~$1000 books/equipment). Pretty steep, although most students will get a portion of that back through tuition and laptop rebates. Still, the money has to be up front!!

Guest PeterHill0501

Hmmmm...if I get accepted I'll be thankful for RBC (i.e., not my red blood count), that's for sure.

Peter

Guest NBer

Just a note about price...I think $4000 for this is still pricey. I just recently bought a laptop, and although the specs are a bit less (but a better brand...toshiba), I paid $2000 exactly taxes included...this is what my laptop has...I'm just putting this out there because I think this type of specs is suitable for all applications you would need, etc...and it's $2000 less

Brand : Toshiba Satellite 1800

Processor: Intel Celeron 1.1 MHz

RAM: 256 Mb

Hard drive: 20 Gig

3.5" Floppy: internal 1.44MB

DVD-ROM drive

Sound card: 16-Bit on-board Sound Blaster Pro

Ethernet card: Integrated MiniPCI Combo with 56K V90, 10/100BaseT

Modem: Integrated 56K V90

Slots: - 2 USB,

- 1 Parallel,

- 1 9-pin Serial,

- 1 Type 1/II or 1 Type III PCMCI

Battery: Lithium Ion

Display: 15" TFT XGA screen (1024 x 76 active matrix

Operating system: Windows XP

Warranty: 1 Years on-site

...just to let you know...I personally do not like IBM laptops as much as other brands, I find the screens are not as sturdy as compaq, hp, or toshiba, and they have the little joystick thingy (couldn't think of the real term) in the middle which acts as a mouse. Most other brands have really nice touchpads now...

I love my new laptop!!!!

Cheers

Guest PeterHill0501

NBer,

I agree with you...IBM isn't my first choice either. I purchased a great Toshiba laptop last year also...the Satellite...it's wonderful and was about, if I remember correctly, about 3K, fully loaded as you have described. That price also included some extra gadgetry I purchased to set up my home network...I puchased the linksys router as well as their 802.11 wireless network hardware infrastructure. I personally find the toshiba to be a better physical design (lighter, thinner, ergonomically more correct) and it looks much nicer too. However, that being said, the power of having a maintenance contract which includes replacement...plus full IT support and software is easily worth 1000 over four years of medical school...what do you think?

Peter

Guest NBer

true...software alone could be worth $1000 depending on what is being provided...in terms of warranty, you can purchase a full warranty at the time of purchase for about $100-$200...

one thing that sucks though, when the school is purchasing these laptops (and it sounds like they must have already made the deal if we are hearing about specs and price), the price right now is high for a 1.6 MHz processor b/c it is top-of-the line...but in six months, there will be one faster, and the price dramatically drops...by that time the students will be paying the high price for the 1.6 b/c of when the school made the deal...

oh well...I guess that's what happens in this industry!!! I got my laptop for $100 less than someone who bought the same brand, 6 months earlier and didn't have as much as I did...:)

anyways, just my two cents worth...I'm not even going to Ottawa!!! I must admit...I would love to go to a school where everything you needed and did was on a laptop...

Good Luck!

Guest U of O med

Sure you might be bying a top of the line computer now, and that a better one will be coming around in 6 months, BUT consider that the meds2005 class bought about half of what they have proposed for next year for the same price, only 10 months ago!! How do you think we feel?

The sad thing is... that's technology. I can remember the day when my father didn't want to buy a DVD player for fear that a better one would be around in just a month or so. Well, he's still waiting! Enjoy your tapes Dad!! Get the point?

PS: That's also why you'll be paying so much. The faculty is trying to minimize the technology gap that will exist when you're in your 4th year.

Archived