Premed 101 Forums

GPA Calculation

Hello there! I transferred from UNB to Dal this year and now realize that I must take 1st year classes that are required for my degree, but were not required at UNB. If I take a full course-load (5 classes) that includes 4 2000 level classes and 1 1000 level class, does Dal still count that as a full course-load and will therefore consider my GPA. I am in my second year and will be applying between my third and fourth year.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the responses! How does Dalhousie look at years that were completed previous to the two years that will be considered for the GPA calculation? Say I took 6 years to graduate because I wanted to acquire a higher yearly GPA. For example, we'll pretend my third year ended up being a mess, so I decided to complete three additional years to have my GPA calculated form year 4,5, and 6. Any input? Would this hurt me, or anyone even see the marks previous to those years?

I'm sure they see the marks, just as any school with a weighted GPA does. However they only consider your most recent 2 as long as they are full course loads. So in your hypothetical scenario they would use year 4 & 5 if you were applying during year 6. If you applied after year 6, it would be year 4, 5 & 6 GPA. And the other years would simply be irrelevant.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I never take a full course load (always 8 during the term then 2 summer courses). If I took a full course load during my 4th year (I'm currently in 3rd year) and then started a new undergrad and applied after my first year of that, what would they be basing my GPA on?

Thanks for your help!

If I've read correctly, you will have to complete two years of your new degree before being considered. You are better off stretching your degree an extra year to accommodate. To avoid a forced graduation, refrain from registering for a class required for your degree until the 5th year. I am in a position similar to yours, and plan to do as I described above. Please correct me if I'm presenting false information!

I don't think you have to complete 2 years before being considered. I completed a degree, started a new one, was waitlisted after the first year of my second degree (applied at the very start of the program), and was then accepted during my second year (applied at the start of second year).

You can find the conversion chart here:

http://careers.mcmaster.ca/students/education-planning/virtual-resources/gpa-conversion-chart

Just convert each grade.

I was just wondering if they used a different system than OMSAS, like their own, because I believe A's for them are 4.0s

Edit: NVM it says here...

Non Maritime

* Minimum GPA of 3.7 on a 4.0 scale in each of the last two consecutive years of full time * study, prior to making an application. In determining your GPA, the OMSAS - Undergraduate Grading System Conversion Table is used.

I was just wondering if they used a different system than OMSAS, like their own, because I believe A's for them are 4.0s

Edit: NVM it says here...

Non Maritime

* Minimum GPA of 3.7 on a 4.0 scale in each of the last two consecutive years of full time * study, prior to making an application. In determining your GPA, the OMSAS - Undergraduate Grading System Conversion Table is used.

If you do your undergrad at Dal, an A is a 4.0 and an A+ is a 4.3 (everything else is like the OMSAS scale). The faculty of medicine though converts everything to the standard 4.0 scale. Hence the confusion.

• 1 month later...

Archived