Premed 101 Forums

Guitar and Surgery?

Hi,

I've been wanting to pick up guitar for a while... However, I'm wondering if calluses will affect my abilities if I choose surgery or family medicine as a specialty? Do you lose sensation in your fingertips from playing guitar?

Sorry for this wierd question! I appreciate your thoughts.

Corie

I have been playing guitar for around 8 years now, and i have not "lost sensation" in my fingertips.

If anything, I believe it increases your dexterity, which may help i guess, if you plan on going into surgery. However, i dont think this , extra edge will tremendously help you in surgery, from what i hear the dexterity required is something that anyone can obtain, but i could be wrong there.

Anyways, hope this was helpful, take care.

The only thing is that you'll have to cut your fingernails, which I find very frustrating as a guitarist who likes to do a bit of fingerstyle - to say nothing of classical guitar, which you will certainly have to retire from if you want to be almost any type of doctor.

The callouses you get from playing guitar (I assume you've just picked it up) really only form on the very tips of the fingers on your fingering hand -its a small surface area, and yes you lose a tad bit of sensation, but it won't affect you.

im feeling my fingertips right now and id have to agree :)

I have been playing guitar for around 8 years now, and i have not "lost sensation" in my fingertips.

If anything, I believe it increases your dexterity, which may help i guess, if you plan on going into surgery. However, i dont think this , extra edge will tremendously help you in surgery, from what i hear the dexterity required is something that anyone can obtain, but i could be wrong there.

Anyways, hope this was helpful, take care.

Archived