Premed 101 Forums

Rad Onc Interviews

gamma7

Where have you received rad onc invites?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Where have you received rad onc invites?

Very interesting, last year it was apparently two twenty minute interviews. I wonder if by group, they meant a group will be interviewing each applicant individually.

Anyone else here back from other schools this week? I am awaiting Toronto, Ottawa, McGill, McMaster and Dal.

I'm still awaiting those schools as well. Queens you have to initiate your own interview by emailing program coordinator and director, but I haven't done that yet, probably wait until January.

I was hoping all of the interview invites would be out before Christmas, I guess there are still a couple days left.

• 2 weeks later...

The CaRMS website only lists 20 spots now--down from 21 just a few days ago. Check out https://w1c.e-carms.ca/pdws/jsp/pd.do?d=916&p=p3&m=1. Perhaps UofA is down from 2 to 1 residency positions? Last year there were 25 positions offered to Canadian graduates. Is this decrease because there is currently a surplus in Rad Oncs? Is the government cutting down funding for this specialty? :(

The CaRMS website only lists 20 spots now--down from 21 just a few days ago. Check out https://w1c.e-carms.ca/pdws/jsp/pd.do?d=916&p=p3&m=1. Perhaps UofA is down from 2 to 1 residency positions? Last year there were 25 positions offered to Canadian graduates. Is this decrease because there is currently a surplus in Rad Oncs? Is the government cutting down funding for this specialty? :(

Hey Jimmery,

There are a handful of specialties with no jobs in Canada right now (ie. cardiology, GI, ICU) ... but luckily, the current job market for Rad Onc is decent and expected to get even better over the next little while due to increased demand. Graduates from our program, over the past few years have not had any difficulty landing jobs. Of course, big cities like Toronto, Vancouver have saturated markets so this makes it naturally tougher to find a job regardless of specialty. Rad Onc is among the top#3 ultra competitive specialties (with derm and plastics) to match to in the US because of the excellent lifestyle and job market.

The decision to decrease the number of residency positions to 18 spots (for english programs) was a group collaboration between the rad onc program directors' at this year's CARO meeting in order to keep the number of trainees in the field small, to further ensure/enhance an optimal environment during and after residency.

Hope that helps :)

Archived