Premed 101 Forums

Ottawa admission process

Guest OctApplicant

Guest OctApplicant

Hi everyone!

I will be applying to Ottawa this fall (among other schools) and I have a question regarding what they post on their website about their admission process. They state somewhere that they reserve the right to assess the difficulty of the undergrad program and courses that you have taken. Does anyone know what this means and how this is carried out? Maybe some of the med students can answer this question.

What do they consider acceptable and what would they consider unacceptable to reject an applicant? I just finished my undergrad at UofT with a major in human biology and a major in a social science (semiotics and communication theory). Although I can't change what I majored in, I was wondering if I should be worried about anything. BTW I would meet the WGPA cutoff if it would stay close to last year's (3.8) .

Thanks in advance, and hopefully your replies will help me and others like me.

Good luck to those waiting for letters!!

October Applicant

I majored in bio and took all my electives in french and psyc (which are bird bird courses at Queen's). As long as most of the courses you are taking are at your grade level you should be fine (ie. if you are in 3 year - don't take all first year courses).

Also, many of my interviewers thought that my broad education was an asset. I didn't just stick to one hard core science.

Anyways, call the ottawa u admissions office and they will help you out - actually go in and sit down with them. They are usually more than happy to help students out. Just don't do it until at least the end of june. They have their hands full now and you won't get the individual help and time you need.

Guest U of O med

I believe the whole "... we reserve the right to weigh the difficulty of certain courses..." does not have whole lot to do with your chances, directly! The way it works at Ottawa is your weighted GPA gets you the interview, and the interview gets you in (and throw in your autobiographical sketch in there somewhere). Perhaps when evaluating your application they might expect a higher mark in a certain class versus another, but then again I'm sure this matters much in the big picture.

Good luck!

Guest MDPlease

Hello!

After I registered I have changed my name to MDPlease from Oct Applicant. Anyways, thank you guys for your advice, I feel much better.

Guest rs81

I'm in a health sciences program and I thought of changing my major last year. Thus, I have a few more credits (actually 1.5) from 1st year than I needed.........I'm going into my third year and I think I have a good chance of making the cutoff. I have met most of my program requirements in spite of the extra 1st year credits (summer school last year for orgo) and can graduate after this year if I want........Anyway, will this hurt my chances when I apply this year?

Guest U of O med

rs81,

I don't quite understand what you think might hurt your chances, the fact that you have too many classes??

There's nothing wrong with having more than enough credits, just make sure you have the minimum amout and within the right diciplines! Make sure you have your prerequisites and three years of university with 5 full classes per year.

If I'm off the track on understanding your question let me know.

Good luck!

Guest rs81

Basically, I thought that having extra 1st year credits would hurt my chances........I was thinking that Ottawa would frown upon the number of 1st year credits that I have and look at my GPA with a different perspective......That is what I meant, sorry for the confusion

Archived