Premed 101 Forums

UT pediatric electives- Endocrine or Rheum?

Hi there,

Do any of you wonderful people have some suggestions on Endocrine or Rheumatology electives at U of T? Are these electives with enough face time? And who would be good preceptors?

I'm open to any other suggestions you may have about good electives.

Thank you! :)

Since nobody else has replied, here's my $0.02.

I have a (professional) crush on Dr. Benseler. I haven't interacted with her in her role as a rheumatologist, but I have had some good shifts with her in the HSC emerg. She'll push you, and she doesn't suffer fools lightly, but if you know your sh-t and gain her trust then she's awesome to work with.

Since nobody else has replied, here's my $0.02.

I have a (professional) crush on Dr. Benseler. I haven't interacted with her in her role as a rheumatologist, but I have had some good shifts with her in the HSC emerg. She'll push you, and she doesn't suffer fools lightly, but if you know your sh-t and gain her trust then she's awesome to work with.

100% agree. I crossed path with her at sick kids emerg as well. An amazing clinician and a stern but extremely supportive and resourceful teacher.

Rumor has it that she just doesn't miss sick kids and her bounce back rate is minimal. I think she did fellowships in multiple subspecialties (other than emerg and rheum) before her current postings.

As mentioned by Ploughboy, be humble, enthusiastic and meticulous, and she will love you. Don't try to kiss up or BS because she will simply see right through you and call you out on it.

• 3 weeks later...

I did a peds rheum elective at Sick Kids and loved it. It was a department-based elective and your elective time will be divided between inpatients/consults and clinics.

I don't think it really matters who you work with as all of the attendings do a lot of teaching and the fellows are very friendly and kind. I learnt a tonne and got to see some unique pathologies. Highly recommended elective!

Archived