Premed 101 Forums

number of acceptances and good waitlist

Guest wondering

Guest wondering

Does anyone know how many initial acceptances U of Ottawa sent out? How many "good" waitlist did they send out? THanks!

Guest PeterHill0501

Wondering...

I received a "bad" waitlist letter...here's the info I have...

469 people interviewed at U of O this year...

...of those, 123 candidates (includes English and French applicants) received first-round offers...

...that leaves 346 left for the waitlist...

...during our interview we were told if you were in the top 200-250 candidates you had a chance...

...a ranking higher than 200 or 250 likely got the "you're on the waitlist, however, I must inform you that given your rank on this list, you are unlikely to receive an offer" letter...

...my guess is (and it's only a guess) that about 200-250 got the 'good letter'...246, if they literally need to offer 2 people, on average, to fill 123 spots.

Peter

Guest wondering

Peter:

Thanks a lot for this info! You've given everyone in the forum so much help and we all really appreciate it, as evident from the many responses to your posting of the U of O letter. I received the exact same letter, word for word... except it had my name.

I was just wondering whether U of O admissions or the interviewers were able to give you any feedback, as I heard that U of O does NOT give any suggestions for areas of weakness in the application.

Thanks a lot!

Guest PeterHill0501

Wondering...thanks for the kind words...

I have formally asked Nicole Racine, Dr. Hebert (Assistant Dean of Admissions...and one of my interviewers) and my other two interviewers for feedback with respect to my strengths and weaknesses with the goal of improving my application for the next academic year...I have yet to hear back from them...it will be interesting to see if they respond.

From my perspective (as you've probably already noticed) I think as people who expect students and physicians to be genuinely interested in helping people, and compassionate...etc., I believe it should be second nature for them to want to provide candidates with feedback. They selected me for an interview from amongst 2011 applicants...they must have seen something interesting...I would hope they would offer us the opportunity to improve in order to meet their expectations so we can succeed at obtaining our dream...

...I guess we'll see...at any rate...I will receive feedback one way or another...if not from adcoms then from my peers and from others who have succeeded and, hopefully, this will provide me with the opportunity to come back in the following academic year with a portfolio and interview that will make them drool... :)

Peter

Archived