Premed 101 Forums

Good/Bad Waiting List

Guest PeterHill0501

Guest PeterHill0501

Has anybod else had a call from the "good" waiting list? If so, have any of you heard/asked how many more spots they are still trying to fill? Also, does anybody know for a fact if they have, in the past, had to go down to the "bad" waiting list in order to fill all the spots?

Any info would be appreciated.

Peter

Guest Squirrelgirl

Hi Peter & everyone else!

I got the "good" waitlist letter and I'm still waiting (impatiently) to hear if I get a spot. Sigh! I was a little surprised that I wasn't accepted because I had a great post-interview impression. However, my GPA is kinda low (OMSAS 3.73). Has anyone with a GPA in the same range been accepted? Does anyone know if they are still calling people or if they are just sending out letters? This waiting is driving me crazy!!! Good luck to everyone else on the list and let us know if you hear anything!

Guest PeterHill0501

Squirrelgirl,

My GPA was in the same range as yours and I was "bad" waitlisted...so, I would feel good if I were you... apparently, this waitlist thing can go right through the summer into the first couple of week of school... (sigh) ...recommendation... (albeit easier if you are "bad" waitlisted) is to try to forget about it... but then... I'm still thinking about it... so...that's probably nice but ridiculous advice!

Peter

Guest maxell

Squirrelgirl:

I don't think you can correlate your GPA with your chances. Although I am by no way an authority on the subject, it is to my understanding that those on the good waiting list have rather good chances of getting in.

I have an OMSAS GPA of 3.93 and also had a wonderful interview expereince -maybe one of the best interviews ever in my life - but I was rejected flat out (bad waiting list).Personally, for me it is very frustrating, since I do not know what I could have done better.

The fact that you were "good wait-listed" means they saw something in you that means more to them than just numbers, and that they consider you a worthy candidate of their medical school. So, have hope and patience!

Guest stargirl

GPA is the second half of the battle kids...

This is how the Ottawa Med School Admissions Ball Game is played...

Your interview is scored on a 4.0 scale...All interviewees who receive a 4.0 are pooled and then ranked according to GPA. The next possible interview score is 3.75...these are pooled and ranked according to GPA...etc. etc. Then, 3.50 interview and so on ad nauseum.

Then they make offers starting at the top i.e. 4.0 interview, 4.0 GPA; 4.0 interview, 3.99 GPA and so on...only when all the 4.0 interview people have been offered a spot do they start offering the 3.75 interview people spots...So squirrel girl, since you are on the good wait list, you probably had a decent interview score but your GPA puts you lower down....Fear not though, because if you are on the good wait-list you have a decent shot, or else you wouldn't be on the good wait-list.

Guest bananagirl

I just have a couple of things to add to Stargirl's well-explained comments:

1) I believe that it is not solely the GPA that orders you within your interview score. I think I was told that (and I think it says in the U Ottawa admissions guidebook) candidates are given a score based on their combined GPA/autobio sketch, then ranked according to interview score. So, realistically, if a candidate had an excellent A/B sketch and a GPA of 3.80, he/she might be ranked higher than a candidate with a GPA of 3.80 but a so-so A/B sketch, or even a candidate with a higher GPA and a so-so A/B sketch.

2) Are the rankings also ordered with respect to area? ie. if I was from outside Ottawa and my GPA was 3.85, would I be ranked higher than all other GPAs of less than 3.85, or would they take into account if people were from Ottawa?

3) Anybody know if the entire 'good' waitlist was used up in previous years? ANY information would be much appreciated....

Thanks! Good Luck!

I believe people are ranked only according to GPA - I am 99% sure that I remember the admissions officer telling us that on interview day. Someone else asked about autobio and believe she said GPA????

Also, people from Ottawa need a lower GPA for an interview, but if they rank interview scores by GPA - I think that edge is out the window...

Guest bananagirl

I received a message from Nicole Racine today about 3 pm, asking me to call right away. Unfortunately when I called back the office was closed! I'm hoping it really was an offer off the waitlist and not some administration detail to be resolved....did anyone else get a call?

Anxiously waiting....

Guest stargirl

I think so too...I think the combined autobio/gpa is used to determine who gets an interview

btw, good luck bananagirl...i, alas, am on the bad waitlist

Guest JSS02

I'm pretty sure that either the GPA or GPA+sketch is used as a tie-breaker when two people have the same interview score. I think our interview scores are in increments of 0.25 (starting from 4.0, then 3.75, etc.), and they rank everyone this way first. So someone with a 3.8 GPA and 3.75 interview score will get in before another person with a 4.0 GPA and 3.50 interview score.

Guest Squirrelgirl

I got a phone call too but the office is closed! I live in BC (although my home address is in Ottawa) so I will be up at 5:30 am to call back!

hey all,

I also got a phone call from Nicole on my answering machine.

I phoned back at 3:30 and got through, and she said that I was accepted!!!!!

I am so happy!!!!!

I am from toronto

Completed my bachelors, and will be finished my masters soon.

GPA 3.84, and MCAT 9, 10, 10, T

So all of those that got a phone call from nicole around 3 but couldn't get back through, relax, I'm 99% sure its good news.

Guest Melissa13

Hey girls,

If Nicole has left a message for you, it's an offer from the waitlist...so congrats to you both. Nothing but the formality of accept or reject from each of you so go and celebrate with your friends tonight. Nina is the one who would be calling if there was some kind of glitch to work out so CONGRATS. I hope that you both accept and I will have the chance to meet you in the fall (I was accepted in the first round and accepted the offer right a way) Ottawa is a fabulous place too live...if you can find housing. Again confrats, and I hope to see you in the fall. Melissa

Guest PeterHill0501

Congratulations guys! I'm so happy for you...what a great feeling to be called off the list...good for you!

Peter

Guest happy

Nicole also called my house around 3 pm today. My mom answered the phone and asked her if I was getting off the waiting list and she replied "yes". However, when I tried calling her back, I got the answering machine.

Guest TerEMeds04

Hey Peter,

How is your mini putt game going?

I know for a fact that people are accepted off of the 'bad' waitlist, as some of my classmates (UofO Meds04) divulged such information after a drunken day at the golf course for a med school tourney.

One guy had received his waitlist in May, an outright rejection in late July, and a phone call from Nicole two days after he received the rejection letter! I myself got in off of the 'good' waitlist, but not until early July so I must have been in the lower half of the 'good' list. I was in a similar situation where I had already started to plan for my next application and what I could do to improve it, when I got the call from Nicole, so don't give up but try not to let it consume your summer, as we are finally getting some sun today!

Regards,

Terry

Guest PeterHill0501

Hey Terry,

Great to see you on this board! Are you usually "cloaked", or what?

The new miniput game is quite challenging...I decided to put it away for awhile as it was getting quite addictive... random reinforcement schedules are very powerful indeed!

While I have resigned to the fact that I likely won't be attending medical school this fall...stories like the ones you've just written about give me that teency weency speck of hope that makes my stomach knot with anticipation and the excitement of commencing a long-desired journey.

Thanks again,

I hope we can keep in touch.

Peter

Guest bananagirl

Thanks for the message, James! It was really nice to read your profile as well....

...and I'm happy to say that I look forward to meeting you in September! That phone call turned out to be positive news; I'm ecstatic (I've been celebrating for a while, that's why I'm late to post this).

For those of you still on the waitlist, good luck....I think it may move fairly quickly. Nicole didn't say much about the waiting list on the phone, only that 'they've reached my name' etc. She mentioned that housing information from the office has been popular this year. She also mentioned that classes start September 10th, and that orientation week starts September 3rd. I thought there were 2 frosh weeks...?

I'll post my "Who Am I" information soon but I'm at work right now...

By the way, I'm looking for a place to live....would anyone be interested in sharing? Male, female, prefer non-smoker....my email: missmed06@hotmail.com

Good luck everyone!

Guest James Wong

Hi Bananagirl,

I've added you to my MSN messenger...I know we'll be sending each other msgs during PBL sessions....that's all many of the students do (rather than learn)!

Congrats! I'm very pleased to hear that you've been admitted...I look forward to reading your profile.

James

Guest James Wong

That's GREAT news! I am so looking forward to meeting you! It's great to know that I'll have a classmate to make it up to Tremblant with me....it's a long ride to do by yourself. If you are interested, Tremblant offers a 4X4 pass meaning, a group of 4 full time students can each buy a season pass for $200 each assuming they buy them together...I've done it for the past two years....worth every penny as long as you ski more than 4 days out of the year.

Looking forward to meeting you, and I've added you to my MSN messenger list too.

Ciao

James

Archived