Premed 101 Forums

Rural Ontario Medical Program

Hey guys,

Can anyone share their experience with the ROMP program?

I'm a UofT med student interested in doing the 1 week ROMP placement in general surgery, though I'm pretty sure I don't want to work in a rural area in the future. I'm just thinking about it because I heard it is good hands-on experience, regardless of where you want to end up practicing.

Thanks

Hey guys,

Can anyone share their experience with the ROMP program?

I'm a UofT med student interested in doing the 1 week ROMP placement in general surgery, though I'm pretty sure I don't want to work in a rural area in the future. I'm just thinking about it because I heard it is good hands-on experience, regardless of where you want to end up practicing.

Thanks

I had an amazing experience in Collingwood. I spent a month up there doing General Surgery. Not only did I get to do a lot in General Surgery, I was also the go-to person to help out in C-sections and orthopedic surgeries, as there are no other surgery keeners and they don`t have to call around for GP assists.

In fact, my experience was so positive that I am even entertaining a career as a community general surgeon. It is incredible how ROMP experience may change your perspective on wanting to work in teaching centres, specifically U of T. General Surgeons in the community are so competent that they are comfortable handling all types of surgeries.

I also got to spend a couple of days a week doing lumps and bumps. In the OR, I would open, close, tie mesenteric vessels, fire GIAs, and of course, lots of retracting. All with direct supervision.

They may not let you do as much since you're only going to be there for one week (as I'm sure you know, they have to trust you first). Try to do at least 2 or even 3 weeks, if possible.

ROMP is great in that they arrange accommodations for you and will reimburse you for travel expenses.

If you are interested in going to Collingwood, send me a private messages and I will give you the names of the two general surgeons that are there, as well as the ROMP contact person at Collingwood.

Be humble when you go up there, don`t act like a sterotypical U of T student and they will love you and you will get so much more in return!

Archived