Premed 101 Forums

Advice on what I should do?

Hi everyone,

I am in a bit of a confused situation and would appreciate some advice as to what I should do next...

I am in my 4th year and will be finishing my undergrad degree after this term. I am confused about what I should do next year.....I meet the cutoffs for UWO and Queens with my last 2 years' GPA but a little shy of the Ottawa cutoff. I have not yet written the MCAT...I plan to do that this summer.

Can you guys give me some advice on what I should do next year? I really don't want to take a year off and would like to make the best use of my time to get closer to my medical dream....what should I do....5th year? masters?

Thanks,

mymeddream

To the OP:

Decent U/T wGPA. The MCAT is a game changer though. Check back in with us when you receive your score and know where you stand GPA-wise in your 4th year.

If you can't find a Masters that fits for the next year I would do a 5th year if I were in your shoes. Provided you think/know you can attain a 3.9ish year. It would open up Ottawa and I think an extra school would be worth it. That said, a good year (or two) of a Masters degree will give you a better chance at Toronto (but as Ottawa, no guarantees).

Best of luck.

ps: Consider US schools depending on how strong your MCAT will be.

Thanks everyone for the input.

GGGSaint: I have looked at my grades for the fall term and I think that my GPA this year should be between 3.9 - 3.94...and I am confident about that. However, I still don't make the wGPA cutoffs at Ottawa using my last 3 years GPA. Anyways, I will definitely keep you guys posted on my MCAT score...I will be writing it this summer for sure. And yes, I am also looking into US schools.....but right now, its a matter of finding a way to make the best use of my time next year and doing something that will help me in the long run.

Simpy: Thanks a lot for taking the time to provide input and advice....also for giving the great explanation. I was also thinking along the same lines as you pointed out.....benefits of doing a 5th year (in my case) would be marginal and its not worth the money, time and effort. Right now, I am really thinking of doing a masters....I don't mind if its a one year or two year masters and I have heard that med schools prefer research based masters which are usually 2 years....and if I were to start a masters, I will finish it....actually I think that is something that med schools require....they don't let someone ditch their grad studies midway for medical school.

Anyone else have other input or advice?

Definitely focus on the MCAT, that is going to really make the difference between you having a very good shot at schools in Canada and the States and you having really only a shot at Toronto.

++. Good luck with the MCAT OP!

ps: If you can hold the 3.9 like you estimate, that will go a long way. Good luck with that as well!

My advice is as follows:

1. Study long and hard for the MCAT and score as high as possible. Anything less than 32Q - 11/11/10 is unacceptable for Queens or Western.

2. Consider job opportunities both in research and/or other areas you are interested in.

If your goal is medical school why would you do a masters as a way to get there? Doing a masters to get into medical school is the stupidist idea I've ever heard. 90% of medical schools couldn't care less if you have a masters degree and now a days your competeing against people with PhDs anyways.

Its all about your undergrad GPA - frankly you could afford to screw up on 1 year but not on 2, now your options are seriously limited.

Have you considered the States? The GPA conversion scale is different, and it almost always works to our beneift.

I did my undergrad at UWO - cGPA 3.55 my AMCAS cGPA was 3.71!

If you get into the States it won't be difficult to get a residency match back in Canada. If medical school is your dream then why does it matter if you are in Canada or the U.S. Being in an active U.S. city beats studying up in Subury for 4 years any day (at least in my opinion).

As for U of T. Don't hold your breath. You won't even get an interview... its 3.9 minimum, they only interview people with 3.85 if you had a PhD.

Believe me I know... I sat down with their Medical School Student Councillor Ms Ali, she gave me the harsh reality or how difficult it is to get into Canadian Medical schools. Call the U of T student affairs office and ask to speak to Ms Ali 416-978-2713, ask her what wGPA you need to get in she knows the answer...

My advice is as follows:

1. Study long and hard for the MCAT and score as high as possible. Anything less than 32Q - 11/11/10 is unacceptable for Queens or Western.

2. Consider job opportunities both in research and/or other areas you are interested in.

If your goal is medical school why would you do a masters as a way to get there? Doing a masters to get into medical school is the stupidist idea I've ever heard. 90% of medical schools couldn't care less if you have a masters degree and now a days your competeing against people with PhDs anyways.

Its all about your undergrad GPA - frankly you could afford to screw up on 1 year but not on 2, now your options are seriously limited.

Have you considered the States? The GPA conversion scale is different, and it almost always works to our beneift.

I did my undergrad at UWO - cGPA 3.55 my AMCAS cGPA was 3.71!

If you get into the States it won't be difficult to get a residency match back in Canada. If medical school is your dream then why does it matter if you are in Canada or the U.S. Being in an active U.S. city beats studying up in Subury for 4 years any day (at least in my opinion).

As for U of T. Don't hold your breath. You won't even get an interview... its 3.9 minimum, they only interview people with 3.85 if you had a PhD.

Believe me I know... I sat down with their Medical School Student Councillor Ms Ali, she gave me the harsh reality or how difficult it is to get into Canadian Medical schools. Call the U of T student affairs office and ask to speak to Ms Ali 416-978-2713, ask her what wGPA you need to get in she knows the answer...

I know its hard to get an interview anywhere in canada. But at toronto I know people that have been accepted with below a 3.9 gpa its not the minimum (I am not sure what their wgpa was). However, the numbers of these people getting accepted are pretty small i would bet. I would speculate that your wgpa would need to be in the ball park of a high 3.8-3.9 to have a shot. Non-weighted gpa's with a good reason can be lower but not by that much. Just my two cents.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post.

I am still confused on what I should do next year. I know that at this time, a lot depends on the MCAT score but I am really concerned about making the best use of my time next year. I will be writing the MCAT this summer and if everything goes well, I could apply in the upcoming cycle and I would still have that one year in between. What should I do that would help me in the application process?

I have been working ever since I turned 16 so finances is not on my mind as a priority......that being said, I don't want to spend an entire year just working. Ideally, I want to do something that would help me in the application process......

My EC's, work experiences and reference letter are strong......its just the GPA that worries me at this point and the MCAT which I will be writing in the summer.

Doing a 5th year only leads to a marginal increase in my cGPA so I don't know if that would be worth it.....doing a masters will only help me at a couple of schools but may also open up another career option in the future......sooo confused.

Any advice on that? What route should I take?

Thanks once again!

1. Do a 5th year and get ~4.0

It will open door to Ottawa and increase your chances at the Ontario best 2 year schools as well as Toronto

2. In the fall of 2011, apply to Ontario schools

3. In the May of 2012, move to Alberta and get a job

4. In the fall of 2012, apply to Ontario/Alberta schools

5. Aug/Sep2013, start medical school.

That is your highest yield plan.

I have another dilemma now. I contacted UOttawa Med School and was told that if I go back as a non degree candidate to do a 5th year of undergraduate courses, they will not count that. I need to be enrolled in a degree program.

Now, I meet the cutoffs for UWO with my 3rd and 4th year GPA and if I were to start another degree next year (i.e. enroll in a degree program to go back instead of being a non degree candidate), UWO requires me to meet the cutoffs again in the second degree and I will have to do undergrad courses for at least 2 years.

From what I have gathered from the admissions office of different schools, it seems that going back for a 5th year is not going to help me at Ottawa. My cGPA (for McMaster) and wGPA (for UofT) will only increase by a very small amount, there will be no real benefit of the 5th year at Queens or UWO since I already meet the requirements (GPA wise).

I really don't mind going back for a fifth year and I know that I can do well if I were to take that 5th year but is it really going to be of any benefit given that Ottawa will not count it if I don't enroll for a second degree and if I do enroll for a second degree, UWO will be out of the picture? I am so confused.....:confused:

Anyone else has any input on this? Or has anyone else been in a similar situation?

Thanks a lot!

I have another dilemma now. I contacted UOttawa Med School and was told that if I go back as a non degree candidate to do a 5th year of undergraduate courses, they will not count that. I need to be enrolled in a degree program.

Now, I meet the cutoffs for UWO with my 3rd and 4th year GPA and if I were to start another degree next year (i.e. enroll in a degree program to go back instead of being a non degree candidate), UWO requires me to meet the cutoffs again in the second degree and I will have to do undergrad courses for at least 2 years.

From what I have gathered from the admissions office of different schools, it seems that going back for a 5th year is not going to help me at Ottawa. My cGPA (for McMaster) and wGPA (for UofT) will only increase by a very small amount, there will be no real benefit of the 5th year at Queens or UWO since I already meet the requirements (GPA wise).

I really don't mind going back for a fifth year and I know that I can do well if I were to take that 5th year but is it really going to be of any benefit given that Ottawa will not count it if I don't enroll for a second degree and if I do enroll for a second degree, UWO will be out of the picture? I am so confused.....:confused:

Anyone else has any input on this? Or has anyone else been in a similar situation?

Thanks a lot!

You can just choose not to graduate this year. That way you're still enrolled in a degree program. You could even try to figure out if it's possible to do a minor or a medial or whatever in another program to add some legitimacy to it.

Simpy - I had already applied to graduate with my undergraduate degree in November and now I can't delay that in any way. I also inquired about doing a minor or something to justify staying back for a year....but was told that its too late to ask for a program change at this time :(

I guess Ottawa is totally out of the picture for me....just need to focus on the other schools I suppose and try my best on the MCAT.

Currently looking at grad schools and if that doesn't work out....possibly move to AB and find something to do with my time there!

Archived