Premed 101 Forums

*Ottawa Med update

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*farhal

Date:***2/8/2001 4:10 pm*PST

Hi,

wondering if anyone knows about Ottawa's cuttoffs this year and how they're taking into account the autbio sketch???

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*f

Date:***2/8/2001 6:19 pm*PST

3.86 - oop, 3.8 - ottawa area, 3.5 - french... got htis from other website.

farhal wrote:

-------------------------------

Hi,

wondering if anyone knows about Ottawa's cuttoffs this year and how they're taking into account the autbio sketch???

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*x0x

Date:***2/9/2001 8:14 am*PST

does anyone know how many out of province students are admitted by u of ottawa? and how many are interviewed? Is it even worth going for an interview?

What about saskatchewan? alberta? How many out of province does u of alberta interview?

Please reply!

Thanks

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Ian Wong, MS2

Date:***2/11/2001 9:26 pm*PST

First thing. For U of Ottawa, stop on over at http://www.debbieleung.com She's a first year med student at U of Ottawa, and her e-mail is listed on that site. Tell her Ian sent ya! :)

I can tell you about Saskatchewan as I interviewed there back in 1999. Things might have changed since then, but I doubt they would have changed too much. U of Sask interviews the top 15 out of province (OOP) students who apply. They decide this based mainly on your GPA, and to a lesser extent, your MCAT score. The system they use there is quite weird: I remember them using my two best years of undergrad only, and not my third year. I applied during my third year. I don't know how they would do it if you were in your fourth year, or if you have gotten your Bachelors already, and were working on/completed a second degree.

Once U of Sask decides to interview you, they then ask for reference letters. So initially, the only things you send them are your registration form, a transcript and MCAT scores, and your cash. No need for reference letters or essays, making it a very simple school to apply to.

After the interview, 5 OOP students are accepted. In that year, I heard through the grapevine that no OOP students ended up attending U of Sask. I think if you have the numbers to get into U of Sask, you can probably get into your home province medical school. And if you can get in there, personally I didn't find that much appealing about spending the next four years of my life in Saskatoon. :)

Ian

Can, MS2

PS: To everyone out there reading this message board, JOIN IN! Using your real name and e-mail address is optional!

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*shaft

Date:***2/12/2001 4:39 pm*PST

hey Ian,

Did you get selected at u of sask? I have an interview at u of t, u of s and i already had one at ubc.(anxiously waiting for u ot ottawa - anyday now!)

other then ubc, did you get selected anywhere else?

thanks

for everyone else:

has anyone in british columbia received any notficatin from u of ottawa yet?

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*j

Date:***2/12/2001 6:43 pm*PST

hi guys,

i gave the wrong gPA's for uottawa...

3.89 for OOP, for in ottawa 3.76, if your french and applying to french program 3.50.

to be honest... if you've gotten an interview at UT then I'm pretty sure you'll get one for ottawa...

shaft wrote:

-------------------------------

hey Ian,

Did you get selected at u of sask? I have an interview at u of t, u of s and i already had one at ubc.(anxiously waiting for u ot ottawa - anyday now!)

other then ubc, did you get selected anywhere else?

thanks

for everyone else:

has anyone in british columbia received any notficatin from u of ottawa yet?

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Kirsteen, Can MBA

Date:***2/16/2001 6:42 am*PST

Hello,

"faraz" (a graduate student on the following page) received his/her rejection letter from U. Ottawa yesterday, so it seems their Pitney Bowes machine is active.

Good luck,

Kirsteen

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*LA

Date:***2/21/2001 10:47 pm*PST

I'm a BC applicant....I received an invitation for interview at U of Ottawa about 1 week ago.

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*jeniah

Date:***2/14/2001 5:52 am*PST

i know of only 1 person who has received notification of an ottawa interview and no one who has been rejected. i also know of a few people who would definitely meet the cutoff and have great autobiographies who haven't heard anything either.... so maybe they are not done inviting people?

this question is for the person who posted the ottawa gpa's. where did you get them from, and what is the value for applicants from ontario but not the ottawa region. same as out of province?

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*iq180

Date:***2/14/2001 7:08 am*PST

when did this person receice notification of u of o interview is he a bc applicant as well.

I got an invitation to UO on Sat. as a grad student. Does anyone know how many grad students they interview, and what the process is at this point for grad students as compared to undergrads. And also with respect to residency at this point in the game. Has anyone interviewed at UO, I heard that it can be very confrontational.

Guest anonymous

Are you a PhD student or a Masters student, and how many pubs do you have?? One last thing, when was the mailing date on your interview notice?

I am an MSc. I had some publications so I guess that helped. My GPA was pretty low though. Anyone have any idea about how the grad process works at this point in the process? Are 'ontario residents' treated equally at this point, or not?

THanks

Archived