Premed 101 Forums

*Applying to Ottawa

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*moo, UG3

Date:***10/2/2000 7:22 pm*PST

I've made a gut-wrenching decision to apply to the University of Ottawa med school... do you think I can apply in time to meet the Oct 15 deadline? I've already requested a OMSAS app but they said that it'd take 1 week to come... I guess I'd have to courier it over there after I fill it out... This school requires no MCAT so I'm just doing this for "practace". You know, to orientate myself to the process. Did you apply to Ontario schools and if so, do you have to include your personal statement with the initial OMSAS app, or is it on the secondary? I need all the help I can get!!!

BTW, I am not counting on getting in at all... in fact, I kinda wanna just finish up my senior year next year. But it'll be cool if I do.

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Jeff S, UG2

Date:***10/2/2000 8:46 pm*PST

I know for the OMSAS application there's a one page autobiographical sketch you fill out documenting your education, activities, awards, etc. since the age of 14. This is sent to all the Ontario schools you apply for. On top of that, each school has it's own application with supplementary questions (except for Western, I think). Ottawa basically just wants you to expand on your autobiographical sketch... you have to send all the stuff (INCLUDING your transcripts) to OMSAS by the 16th.

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***10/2/2000 9:48 pm*PST

I took a French course at the Universite de Montreal in the summer following my senior year of high school. I took this course on a bursary thing that I won from the gov't. I got a B+ in this course, but do you think I have to ask the U de M to send the transcript for this course? I don't even remember my student number, and I don't even know if they have my file on record still.

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Jeff S, UG2

Date:***10/2/2000 10:08 pm*PST

Well, technically the OMSAS application says you're supposed to send in ALL your marks from any college or university you ever took courses at; interpret that how you choose. I'm not sure how serious it is to OMSAS if you don't include that transcript, though I personally think they'd just be really anal if they disqualify you for not telling them about some course that was taken during the summer (and hence isn't even counted in your average), and not needed to fulfill course requirements.

Good luck,

Jeff

Guest Ian Wong

Heya,

I actually did that French SLBP immersion program this year. My advice, if it doesn't apply to your degree, or you don't want U of Ottawa to know about it, don't mention it. I hope I don't get busted down for saying this, but simply put, this was not a university level course, and it wasn't taken for the purpose of obtaining credit towards a university course.

If, without this course, you are still on a normal path towards getting your degree in the typical amount of time, I simply wouldn't mention it unless you want the admissions committee to enter it into your GPA. Speaking of which, I finished my SLBP on Aug 6, and it's now Oct. 3 and I still haven't received a transcript, or marks notification. Do you really think you'll get it in on time? Just a thought regarding the practicality...

Ian

Can, MS2

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Ian Wong, MS2

Date:***10/2/2000 11:11 pm*PST

Like Jeff said, you'll have some more filler stuff to write in, so you want your application to be going out more or less a day or two after you receive all your forms.

My primary recommendation is to make a list of your CV. Everything you have done thus far in life that you feel is relevant to your med school admissions chances should go here. Start drafting some autobiographical stuff. I assume reference letters aren't going to be a problem (I never applied to the Ontario schools so I don't know what to expect). That way, once your forms come in, you can pounce on them right away. I think you have a realistic shot of getting the form in on time, but you will need to courier it.

The one thing you want to avoid is doing the letters and sending them out, and forgetting some crucial details that you would have liked to include, but didn't because you weren't organized enough.

Finally, visit http://www.debbieleung.com and get her e-mail address there. She's a first year med student at U of Ottawa, and tell her I sent you. :) She's volunteered to be a student rep, of sorts, so any questions regarding U of Ottawa are probably better handled by her.

Ian

Can, MS2

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***10/3/2000 6:18 pm*PST

I went to debbieleung.com and her advice regarding the transcript thing was to send in all transcripts from all schools you ever attended. She says she knows someone who got rejected simply because they found out that she took a summer course at a different university one summer and didn't send that transcript in. That could be me!!

Anyway, they said the package would arrive probably by Friday and I got the long weekend to do this... Hopefully I can get it in on time, and find 3 "referees" willing to fill out the assessment form for me.

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Ian Wong, MS2

Date:***10/7/2000 7:59 pm*PST

Hmm...

In that case, best of luck to you. I think you may want to ask the French school to fax in a temporary transcript, and at the same time, mail in a hard copy. This way, you'll at least have your foot in the door, as I honestly don't think that the French school will be organized enough to mail that copy in on time.

Best of luck, and keep us updated!

Ian

Can, MS2

Archived