Premed 101 Forums

Volunteering in Ottawa

I was curious if anyone has had any good experiences volunteering with different organizations in Ottawa.

I am a 2nd year Health Sciences student at U of O, and I don`t have any experience volunteering currently so I would like to do something this semester. I wanted to volunteer at a hospital but the group that I was going to volunteer with required 8 hours a week for 4 months. 8 hours does not seem like a lot to volunteer, but I am taking 6 courses this semester and I am working in a group home as well for children with autism occasionally (relief shifts).

Are there any hospitals that would allow for only 4 hours a week for volunteering?

Has anyone had a good experience with other groups in Ottawa? I would be totally comfortable working with individuals with disabilities or in any sort of outreach program for the homeless as well. I also love sports/athletics, has anyone had any experience with any sort of athletic outreach organizations in Ottawa?

Thanks for the help.

I was curious if anyone has had any good experiences volunteering with different organizations in Ottawa.

I am a 2nd year Health Sciences student at U of O, and I don`t have any experience volunteering currently so I would like to do something this semester. I wanted to volunteer at a hospital but the group that I was going to volunteer with required 8 hours a week for 4 months. 8 hours does not seem like a lot to volunteer, but I am taking 6 courses this semester and I am working in a group home as well for children with autism occasionally (relief shifts).

Are there any hospitals that would allow for only 4 hours a week for volunteering?

Has anyone had a good experience with other groups in Ottawa? I would be totally comfortable working with individuals with disabilities or in any sort of outreach program for the homeless as well. I also love sports/athletics, has anyone had any experience with any sort of athletic outreach organizations in Ottawa?

Thanks for the help.

The Student Federation of the University of Ottawa (SFUO) has some amazing volunteer opportunities right on campus that require about 3 hours of volunteer work per week. It also shows great school spirit on your med applications. You can start by checking out the services in the UCU Terminus (near 1848 and Tim Hortons) - Peer Help Centre, Centre for Students with Disabilities, Bilingualism Centre, Pride Centre, International House, etc. Health Promotion is near also and always looking for volunteers - however they are not part of the SFUO.

• 2 weeks later...

You might also want to try Roger's House. It's a pediatric palliative care home located right beside CHEO. They ask for 4 hours a week and can definitly work around your schedule. Their website as a ton of info. If you like working with kids you will love it there. I've been a volunteer there for 2 1/2 years and still love it!!! Good luck!

Thanks for the help.

Hey there!

I am a second year medical student at the University of Ottawa. If you are looking for an awesome way to volunteer in the community you should check out http://www.ShaveforaCure.ca.

Shave for a Cure is a medical student run event which collects donations on behalf of “Smiling Over Sickness” (SOS), an organization which raises money towards research into childhood cancer. We are organizing an event in which individuals will shave their heads in exchange for donations to SOS. We need volunteers to help with raising donations. Think of it as a walkathon, but instead of walking, volunteers will be shaving (or cutting, or buzzing) their hair at an Ottawa '67s hockey game. This is a great way for you to support your community and community hospitals. Additionally, this event is an excellent way to gain experience for your medical school applications and interviews and to network with medical students and physicians.

Last year we raised over $60,000. This year we are aiming for $100,000!!!

If you are interested in participating, please register at http://www.ShaveforaCure.ca.

If you have ANY questions whatsoever about the event or how to get involved (or really anything med school related), please feel free to contact me at: jkocz049@uottawa.ca

Best of luck in the application process!!

Cheers,

Josh Koczerginski

uOttawa Medicine

Class of 2013

Archived