Premed 101 Forums

MCAT Results too late??

khb008

Hey Guys, I need your expert advice.

I am currently in my 3rd year and I know how most other people have taken MCAT by now, I could not due to logistical issues. So I will be taking my MCAT for the first time in the summer.

I was hoping to take a Princeton Review course before the exam and so here is my problem.

The princeton review course I am interested in progresses from May to the end of June. This means i will be taking my MCAT in July. According to AAMC, I will get my results in 30-35 days, i.e. Mid-Late August.

Now here is the dilemma, I know most US Med schools go by a Rolling Admissions System and thus the earlier I apply the better. I also realize that they have two applications to complete (Primaries & Secondaries). My questions are:

1) Can I complete my primaries without my MCAT score?

2) Could I even complete my secondaries without MCAT Score?

3) I know that my status would be "Incomplete" but does this mean I will lag behind in the Rolling Cycle? Even though I had applied early?

Your answers will help me decide whether I should take the Princeton Review course or should I just take the test by studying on my own.

Thanks in advance guys.

-H

1) Can I complete my primaries without my MCAT score?

Yes, but it is dangerous. If your MCAT wasn't highly successful (balanced 31+), you've wasted all that time and effort to do the primary. Redoing an MCAT in August or later will put you way behind the 8 ball in terms of your chances. If you are thinking this route, apply to one school likely way out of your league (to avoid reapplication woes), and if your MCAT was good, add other schools to apply to later on once your score is in. This at least gets your primary processed and ready for immediate application to other schools once added.

2) Could I even complete my secondaries without MCAT Score?

Depends on school. Schools that send everyone a secondary would be possible; however, your application would be put on hold pending your score. For schools that screen, you can prep your secondaries by looking at the Q's on SDN, but it may not be worth the time if your score is not worth applying with.

3) I know that my status would be "Incomplete" but does this mean I will lag behind in the Rolling Cycle? Even though I had applied early?

Yes, it is very possible unless your MCAT/GPA is extremely competitive

Bottom line: best to know your score before investing the time and money in US apps as applying is grueling and a large time investment, and reapplying is highly frowned upon. Also, seriously analyze your chances with both your GPA and MCAT. Many people end up rewriting the MCAT, and always consider that being a possibility for yourself.

Thanks a lot Keith,

I am now just really confused about one thing, your reference to "Reapplication Woes". Except for the time and money investment, I did not know that Adcoms frown upon reapplications. If this is the case then each year the applicants chances are progressively worse, yes? If I apply now, and then decide to purse a MSc since I didn't get admitted, then the next time I apply, I would have less of a chance since I'm applying again??

But I've seen numerous people on this forum alone, in their 4th or 5th cycle of applications, preaching to the "Never Give Up" ideology. lol I'm really scared now...(even more than before)

Thanks again for your help :)

Thanks a lot Keith,

I am now just really confused about one thing, your reference to "Reapplication Woes". Except for the time and money investment, I did not know that Adcoms frown upon reapplications. If this is the case then each year the applicants chances are progressively worse, yes? If I apply now, and then decide to purse a MSc since I didn't get admitted, then the next time I apply, I would have less of a chance since I'm applying again??

But I've seen numerous people on this forum alone, in their 4th or 5th cycle of applications, preaching to the "Never Give Up" ideology. lol I'm really scared now...(even more than before)

Thanks again for your help :)

Yes, you will find that reapplying is not something that works out very well. Some secondaries specifically ask you if you are a reapplicant, and if so, what has significantly changed for your application. Essentially, if you apply with a very similar application twice, and you weren't successful the first time, then chances are you won't be the 2nd time unless significant changes have been made such as a 3 pt increase on the MCAT, completion of a Master's, multi publications. With the "job interview" style interviewing in the US vs. MMI, there really isn't much to improve on interview wise year over year.

The "never give up" ideology is good for those who have tried the US for the first time, possibly exhausting their efforts in Canada, or for those in Canada who have improved their app increasingly over time. In the US, because you are an int'l applicant, you are already at a disadvantage, but being an int'l reapplicant likely won't bode well for anyone.

Taking up a Master's isn't a great idea unless you are going to finish. Your supervisor won't be happy if you are going to bail after 1 yr and CDN schools forbid you from acceptance unless you finish. A half finished master's likely won't help you too much either for US apps.

I have a similar question. If I have taken the MCAT once but my score was not competitive and thus I want to take it again sometime in July, would the American schools still require me to submit my first MCAT scores (this way, if I complete the primary and secondary application my file would be marked "complete" but I doubt it'll be competitive) or should I wait until I get my results back sometime early August (then my file would be marked complete much later)?

I think this is what Keith was trying to explain by warning about unexpected results. So there are two scenarios:

1) You apply early with less competitive profile, hoping that the timing of your application will give you the advantage that you need

2) Do NOT apply to the schools you are interested in until you are sure of the results of your second MCAT. Because say you list all the ones you are interested in, and now status is displayed as "Incomplete" until your MCAT results come in. The results could be great and although you are late in the process, you still have good results to help you OR the results turn out to be same or even worse, then you still have no chance, and now you've damaged your self by applying once since Reapplication is frowned upon.

Correct me if i'm wrong Keith, but this is what I figured for my self as well. I'm screwed unless I ace MCAT.

I have a similar question. If I have taken the MCAT once but my score was not competitive and thus I want to take it again sometime in July, would the American schools still require me to submit my first MCAT scores (this way, if I complete the primary and secondary application my file would be marked "complete" but I doubt it'll be competitive) or should I wait until I get my results back sometime early August (then my file would be marked complete much later)?

YES. All scores are released from the AAMC. You don't have a say in picking and choosing. What will happen is that you indicate on your primary that you are expecting more results. Your primary can get verified, but it'll sit on hold at some schools until your score arrives.

I think this is what Keith was trying to explain by warning about unexpected results. So there are two scenarios:

1) You apply early with less competitive profile, hoping that the timing of your application will give you the advantage that you need

2) Do NOT apply to the schools you are interested in until you are sure of the results of your second MCAT. Because say you list all the ones you are interested in, and now status is displayed as "Incomplete" until your MCAT results come in. The results could be great and although you are late in the process, you still have good results to help you OR the results turn out to be same or even worse, then you still have no chance, and now you've damaged your self by applying once since Reapplication is frowned upon.

Correct me if i'm wrong Keith, but this is what I figured for my self as well. I'm screwed unless I ace MCAT.

1) Yes, getting the primary verified is a hassle and is time consuming.

2) Bingo. Apply to Yale or Harvard if you don't think you have a shot. Your primary will get verified, and you only lost the cost of applying to one school and likely an expected rejection. That way you don't screw yourself at other schools should things go awry with your MCAT and you decide to try again next year. Once your primary is verified, and you decide to add more schools, they will get your primary right away, so there won't be too much lag (assuming you are complete shortly before the MCAT score release).

Hey thanks again Keith,

Yea I understand your point now. I'm thinking of only applying to Canadian schools this cycle. I don't think i have a chance but who knows, I don't want to miss a shot. If i'm still around next summer then, I will have MCAT ready, and every thing planned, thus I can start for USA early and apply for Canadian schools again. In the year I am waiting, I will take 5th year undergrad to improve GPA. Thats the main game-plan for now. Thanks again for all your help.

Thanks keith and khb008 for the clarification. So wait, if I were to apply to the Ivy league schools, then they don't frown upon reapplication? What does it mean to get your primary "verified?" Sorry, I've only recently started looking at American medical schools and thus am not exactly familiar with their entire application system.

Anytime schools asked if I was a reapplicant, I opted on the side of caution myself and said yes and said I applied to Canadian schools. I'm sure over the time you didn't get in, you've done things to improve your chances of getting in... so it usually asked how you improved and I just wrote in a short blurb! :)

Hey Law,

This is what I've figured as well. There is no set rules or conditions laid out for us basically every school is diff and every application is diff. It may sound like a cliché but what I've learned in my lurking this forum is that just heed the cautions but in the end just do what ever you think is right.

• 2 months later...

A poster from SDN says that even though you may only apply to a reach school in a cycle, if you reapply to others in the following cycle, you are considered a re-applicant because according to the poster, "asks you whether or not you've ever submitted an AMCAS application before, REGARDLESS of where you've applied." Can anyone who has gone through the process verify this claim? Thanks.

Would having another full year's worth of grades (many for prereq courses) count as a substantial change for a reapplicant? I was thinking of applying DO this year, and if I am forced to reapply I will have this (plus some more volunteering). It feels like a little bit of a reach this year, but next year not so much.

Would having another full year's worth of grades (many for prereq courses) count as a substantial change for a reapplicant? I was thinking of applying DO this year, and if I am forced to reapply I will have this (plus some more volunteering). It feels like a little bit of a reach this year, but next year not so much.

Wayne State (MD) has an interesting little "self-assessment guide": http://www.med.wayne.edu/admissions/self_assesment.asp

This is the gist of the part that's applicable to your question, I think. It's worth a look.

If your GPA is less than the average, briefly describe the remedial steps you have taken to improve your competitiveness as an applicant to medical school.

If an applicant has a less than competitive GPA, our Committee recommends 20 credits of coursework in didactic science (BCPM) either as a post- bachelor student or in a graduate program before application. If an applicant has 20 credits of coursework in didactic science (BCPM) either as a post- bachelor or graduate student on the transcript when they apply, the Committee will consider that the science GPA instead of the undergraduate science GPA. The Committee is looking for a strong science GPA as evidence that an applicant can be successful in medical school.

____ I have completed 20 credit hours of post baccalaureate coursework in didactic science and my GPA is above 3.7.

Wayne State (MD) has an interesting little "self-assessment guide": http://www.med.wayne.edu/admissions/self_assesment.asp

This is the gist of the part that's applicable to your question, I think. It's worth a look.

If your GPA is less than the average, briefly describe the remedial steps you have taken to improve your competitiveness as an applicant to medical school.

If an applicant has a less than competitive GPA, our Committee recommends 20 credits of coursework in didactic science (BCPM) either as a post- bachelor student or in a graduate program before application. If an applicant has 20 credits of coursework in didactic science (BCPM) either as a post- bachelor or graduate student on the transcript when they apply, the Committee will consider that the science GPA instead of the undergraduate science GPA. The Committee is looking for a strong science GPA as evidence that an applicant can be successful in medical school.

____ I have completed 20 credit hours of post baccalaureate coursework in didactic science and my GPA is above 3.7.

I read the guide, and these all seem like reasonable and achievable improvements for anyone committed to medicine. I find it interesting that under the extracurricular activity section they put "and/or work 20-40 hours a week". Does that mean having a job is just as a valuable as some other ECs? That would be good news, since I find it very hard to pile volunteering onto 20 hours of work a week plus coursework. I could maybe squeeze in another 2-4. Anyway, nice find for sure!

Archived