Premed 101 Forums

Hi everbody! I finally decided I had to join this forum after about a year of "lurking" (that sounds so suspicious!) I notice that there are frequent posts about "Am I too old", "What should I do" etc.. I must say that I have learned alot about the med school application process from everyone in this forum and the various situations that people are experiencing. I do want to comment on the "Am I too old" questions first. I will be 38 yrs young next month. I went back to school last Sept to do a degree completion program which I will be finishing in July, with my goal being the same as everyone else-to apply to Med school. Am I too old? No! Does it feel a bit awkward? Yes. But I don't think you are ever too old to follow your dream, set goals, and accomplish them. I'm not old, I'm experienced! Now, the "What should I do" posts, I would say, "What do YOU think you should do?" It's great to have peer support but you gain much more insight by exploring your own strengths, weaknessess, and passion. You then need to be very resourceful in order to find out what you need to set your goals, then start working towards them bit by bit. Being "old" has given me this insight. I have set goals and accomplished every one of them through this same path. When you've hit a roadblock: Re-evaluate, tweak your interventions, and continue to follow your goal. I have had a few doubts as well but the inspirational stories I've read here have really helped. Hopefully I can return the favour! I will be applying to Med school this September-and if I don't get in this time around...I'll try again! Believe in yourself and continue to climb until you get exactley what you have been working for-no matter how "old" you are!

Archived