Premed 101 Forums

50% income after hours?

olecranon

Recently a ubc anesthesiology interest group had speakers come in and they said that up to 50% of their income came from after hour work, weekends, or nights and that a large part of it is because of the expanding role of anesthesiologists as they venture out of the OR into other areas of medicine. How much of this is true in community hospitals? Is anesthesiology no longer a ROAD specialty? Are the days of starting at 7am and finishing at 3pm over?

Also what happens if all of a sudden during an operation you develop a really bad stomach ache or you wake up one morning before your scheduled OR and you just feel awful? I had the former happen to me the other day as i tend to get stomach aches a lot and I was just thinking to myself what if i were the actual anesthesiologist...

Guest copacetic
Recently a ubc anesthesiology interest group had speakers come in and they said that up to 50% of their income came from after hour work, weekends, or nights and that a large part of it is because of the expanding role of anesthesiologists as they venture out of the OR into other areas of medicine. How much of this is true in community hospitals? Is anesthesiology no longer a ROAD specialty? Are the days of starting at 7am and finishing at 3pm over?

Also what happens if all of a sudden during an operation you develop a really bad stomach ache or you wake up one morning before your scheduled OR and you just feel awful? I had the former happen to me the other day as i tend to get stomach aches a lot and I was just thinking to myself what if i were the actual anesthesiologist...

in medicine your life is pretty much what you make of it. self selection is usually operating. If you want to be an anesthesiologist and work 7-3, you can arrange this (perhaps not immediately in your career, but the longer you practice the more clout you have). If you want to be an anesthesiologist and work a hundred hours a week, you can. and stop freaking out about getting sick. doctors get sick just like everybody else. there are people on backup call and what not (residents etc and other attendings if stuff like that happens). If no one else is available stuff just gets canceled.

• 1 month later...

Hey,

Yes, a significant portion of your income will come from work done "after hours" or on call. Just the nature of the beast. Highly lucrative though, I'll be the first to admit! Sadly, ours is a specialty in which call is not just a reality, it's a way of life. But from what I hear, the remuneration makes up for this inconvenience. I can see that happening!

As for problems encountered intraoperatively, fortunately again, ours is a specialty that on the surface may appear isolated from the rest of the outside world, but in reality, we are all in this together, and likely a colleague who is between cases would be able to spell you for the 5-10 minutes that you might need to run to the washroom really quickly. Otherwise, if you're too sick to work, don't come in- it does happen and it happens to everyone, so don't endanger your patients if you aren't well enough to perform. People will understand, although the surgeon whose list had to be cancelled might be a little slow to come around for the first few days or so! :P

Hope this helps!

Hey Ian,

Wow, great to hear from you! Yeah, it's great to be back!

Yeah, what can I say- it's definitely been a long, hard slog. Hopefully the end is near because I'm nearly at my wit's end! We'll see how it goes, I guess!

Can't wait for that sweet day of which you (and pretty much all the other anaesthesia staff and fellows at UWO) speak of! :P

Timmy

Archived