Premed 101 Forums

Why McGill?

sirtuin

Looking to hear from any current McGill Med students or anyone familiar with their program...why should I consider McGill? Based on my initial research of their curriculum on the website, they don't seem to be very different from other traditional-style schools, such as UofT.

(p.s. I'm an Ontario student, so I'm trying to understand what makes McGill stand out from the others, especially those local to me such as UofT or Mac)

Btw, I understand the prestige factor and the fact that McGill is highly ranked in terms of medical research, but these two points don't have me convinced.

Any insight would be appreciated! :)

I might not be part of the med curriculum but the fact that McGill is located in Montréal plays a big role regarding to me. You may say "ahh it's only a city, I don't really care where I'll end up doing my med school "

Montreal has :

• a great nightlife : (Crescent, St-Denis, St-Laurent streets)
  • multiculturalism (French, Chinese, Italian, Portuguese, Korean....) and this means a lot of great restaurants, cultural events all year long...
  • Great Parks (Mont Royal, Jean-Drapeau, Lafontaine......)
  • Underground shopping centers
  • Mostly everything is close of metro/bus

McGill has a lot to offer too... a new hospital is being build

http://muhc.ca/new-muhc/dashboard

A Campus located downtown Montréal. 5 mins walks from 2 subway stations !

The few elements I've listed may be unrelated to McGill MedSchool, but it is the environment you'll live in for 4 years and even more... better be something cool and diversified.

Personally, I would like to return to study Medicine my original hometown of Montreal. As several posters have said, it's a wonderful city. The curriculum itself, as far as I can tell, does have much in common with other Canadian med schools.

One thing that makes McGill stand out is its ridiculously low acceptance rate for out-of-province applicants (since they only offer a few spots for OOP). It adds a certain amount of cachet for people from Ontario...

Reasons Montreal is awesome:

1) Sexy french chicks

2) Fairmont bagels

3) Schwartz smoked meat

4) Mont Royal

5) Everything is max 20mins walk

6) Underground city

7) Pubs / bars / night life, etc.

8) Poutine at La Banquis

They're in no particular order :P

EDIT: I'm also from Toronto. So I feel I can compare the two well.

EDIT2: McGill isn't full of type A personality med students. And the faculty doesn't try to grind you into the ground.

EDIT3: Tuition is cheeeaaapp. Even as an OOP!

Archived