Premed 101 Forums

R score problem

OrthoDoctor

Hi,

I'm new here and also 1st year student at Marianopolis college.

We have just received our r score but it was deceiving, I though i would get much higher : I have 94 average for science but my english and humanities were under the average therefore giving me an r score of 32.xxx I am not sure whether I can bring it up to around 34 for mcgill? Some people told me it was 35+ to have a better chance at any med school. I hope i can get around 35-36 by studying super hard but that would just give me around 34.

So the questions are:

1. For mcgill does a better r score mean a better chance at getting into med or its just a cutoff?

2. for other universities in quebec(sherbrooke, laval and montreal) a better r score means better chances but around what grade a normal student gets in with?

3. do u guys think I can make it? (get 34+ maybe even 35.5 :P is that too ambitious? after the 3rd semester?) and into med?

btw I do many extracurricular work such as : first aid team, math competitions since primary school, swimming but stopped since my college schedule doesnt match with swimming lessons, piano, volunteer at hospital and other volunteering since sec 1 with 150+ hours, certificate in lifeguard medaille de bronze (1st level) and many job experiences.

Thanks and I hope I can get into one med school in 2012 :D and survive the end of the world of course lol.

Hi,

I'm new here and also 1st year student at Marianopolis college.

We have just received our r score but it was deceiving, I though i would get much higher : I have 94 average for science but my english and humanities were under the average therefore giving me an r score of 32.xxx I am not sure whether I can bring it up to around 34 for mcgill? Some people told me it was 35+ to have a better chance at any med school. I hope i can get around 35-36 by studying super hard but that would just give me around 34.

So the questions are:

1. For mcgill does a better r score mean a better chance at getting into med or its just a cutoff?

2. for other universities in quebec(sherbrooke, laval and montreal) a better r score means better chances but around what grade a normal student gets in with?

3. do u guys think I can make it? (get 34+ maybe even 35.5 :P is that too ambitious? after the 3rd semester?) and into med?

btw I do many extracurricular work such as : first aid team, math competitions since primary school, swimming but stopped since my college schedule doesnt match with swimming lessons, piano, volunteer at hospital and other volunteering since sec 1 with 150+ hours, certificate in lifeguard medaille de bronze (1st level) and many job experiences.

Thanks and I hope I can get into one med school in 2012 :D and survive the end of the world of course lol.

1. Yes, if you have a high R score, you have a higher chance at getting into McGill med school. There is no "hard" cut-off for McGill. You need at least 32.

2. It depends. In general, you have to be above average to have a competitive r score (top 5-15% of your class).

3. Bringing it to 34 will be hard, but not impossible. You only need to bring it to a 33,5 ish to ensure you interviews in any francophone med school. However, to be really competitive, 34 at least is required. As stated above, McGill does not have a "hard" cut-off, which means with good ECs and decent score (32-33), interview may well be possible. Your ECs seem pretty strong. Make sure to do what you like, try to do something unique, and try to write good essays about it and you will have a chance.

You should definitively have a r score above 34 to be safe... it is still possible to make it with 32 at mcgill if you've changed the world or done something of absolutely unique/wonderful.

1) Well if it works like last year, your r score counts for a very little % of your application. (5-10% ??) the documents you'll write count for 20-25% and the interview for 60-70%. If you can make it to the interview, everything becomes possible !!

2) a r score of 34 can mostly get you into all the French universities if you do great MEMFIs. If you do not perform very well, :eek: your chances will decrease a lot !

3) Well it is totaly doable... if you can improve your humanities/English... Why not ?

Ok I think I really slacked off for my language classes getting 25-26ish (it hurts the r score so much). btw do you guys know if an average of around 88.5 giving an r score of 32.5 is normal? (at marianopolis)? btw i have 36.xxx r score average for sci average of 94 %.

Thanks for the replies! i will try to focus on every course and hopefully get more than 34

R score seems to matter quite a bit for McGill. Even if they say R score was only 20% last year, just take a look at the stats posted on McGill's website for admitted average R-scores. The average is a 35.5 if I recall correctly!! So... try your best to increase your R score. Don't slack off. Drop a few volunteering activities if you have to.

Archived