Premed 101 Forums

Quick Question

doc5

HI everybody, This here is my very first post..

Im a cegep student in my fourth semester and like everybody here I want to apply to pre med. Our dead line for applications is on march 1st but I decided to spend my break working on the application.

I am from an english high school and so my only choice is mcgill, because I heard the french test at u of m is very hard... My r-score just came up today and after three semesters its 35.307 and the problem is my cv is nothing extraordinary; i am a big brother in the big sister big brother organization, I volunteer in the ER in the montreal general hospital, Im a peer tutor in marianopolis and tutor students from my high school, been raising money for the heart and stroke foundation for five years, was a member of my high school's soccer team and now Im in a registered sports club, finally im an active member in a religious institution (practice yoga in ashram, prayers in temple etc.)

Now my first question is about the referees, someone in this forums said that quality over quantity is preferred. I was wondering if I should get a reference letter from the hospital, because they will give a reference letter to anyone that has done over 50 hours of volunteering (which I have) but they don't know me personally. So they would probably make a bad letter. Do you think Mcgill will take my word that I am a volunteer there?

My second question is that we need atleast 2 teachers, my chemistry teacher already did a reference for me, and I am having a tough time deciding who the second one should be. Is it more advantageous if it is necessarily a science teacher?

I hope I'm not bothering you guys with all this writing, but I guess I'm just nervous. By the way, this forum is the best, I got so many questions answered through it! Thanks Guys!

1) I find your cv more than extraordinary. ;) Do you really think that most us have better EC than you have ?

2) It does not really matter, chose a teacher that knows you... I have picked my chemistry teacher,my humanity teacher and one of my French teacher in High school... all ot them knew me a lot. I do think it is the key in this selection.

Hope to see you at your MedP frosh next year :rolleyes:

I suggest you still apply to UdM as a backup. The french exam isn't so bad, i went to an english high school also and passed it on my first attemp. Besides, you don't lose anything by applying (except some money:p ) and its a really easy application, no documents required at all.

Archived