Premed 101 Forums

NSERC USRA + MCAT in summer = doable?

Leon

I studied for the MCATs while holding an NSERC position last year and it was probably the worst summer ever! I worked from 8-4 and then came home and studied until 11. I was also volunteering and attempting to have a life (which was very very difficult). I didn't end up doing as well as I would like to on the test and I am redoing them this year and not working. I would recommend against working and studying for the MCATs but like people have said before, it all depends on how you study. It may be a bit different for you because you have already taken the courses. I had never taken anything before and was a little overwhelmed with everything. Good luck with everything and I'm sure you will make the best decision for you!

Thanks again for the replies. I talked to the supervisor today and here's how its going to go:

I'm going to do it. She expects 8 hours a day in the lab so I'm planning to work 8am to 5pm with an hour off in the middle. The rest of the day will be for studying.

She was also super awesome and said I can take off 2 weeks before the exam. Depending on my final exam schedule, if my exams end early, she's willing to let me start the project early so that I can get even more time off just before the exam if necessary.

I'm going to lightly start prepping for the MCAT now itself so that it won't be as bad in the summer. I'm also leaving enough time for a rewrite if things go bad on the scheduled exam day.

This is all assuming I actually get the NSERC, lol

I did it. It requires good time management skills and dedication, but its definitely doable. I also had to present my NSERC results from the previous summer at a conference in Honolulu three weeks before my MCAT, so that added to the pressure. I can't say that I didn't mind having to study on the beach, but you know, you do what you have to do.

I think it definitely depends on you and what kind of scores you are aiming for.

I did full time summer research, took a summer course at school (tues, thurs evenings from 6-9), had a part time job (about 10 hours/week), weekly volunteering, AND took the MCAT. Was it brutal? Definitely! But I would say doable if you had enough determination.

I ended up receiving a 38S on the MCAT, with 10 on VR. I definitely feel that I could've done better on the VR if I had more practice, since I barely had time, but I guess that's what you get as a premed trying to balance everything.

Good plan. That is awesome that you worked things out with your supervisor. It's a great idea to leave yourself time to retake if u have to. But it's def a test u do not want to have to rewrite. When r u writing?

Planning July 29. Results supposed to come August 31 ish, leaving another weekish for delay, I'll be able to rewrite on Sept 9 if it doesnt go well

Planning July 29. Results supposed to come August 31 ish, leaving another weekish for delay, I'll be able to rewrite on Sept 9 if it doesnt go well

I will cross my fingers that you won't have to retake :) trying to schedule a testing session that tight can be very difficult.

I have to decide whether this is feasible. I don't like the idea of spending 4 months on nothing but the MCAT. But I don't want to kill myself with overwork.

Has anyone tried this or know anyone that did?

definitely doable

i did an NSERC, studied for the mcat, and played a ton of online poker the summer after 2nd year... got a 36S on the mcat, and make around 12.5k playing poker + the 4k nserc... most satisfying summer of my life lol

although, i didn't really bring my research home whatsoever (never read any articles or anything at night)... i know that some people are expected to... in that case, it would probably be a bit hard to balance mcat studying... so depends on the supervisor i guess

Archived