Premed 101 Forums

NSERC USRA + MCAT in summer = doable?

Leon

I was thinking about doing this last year as well, but opted to just study for the MCAt since the classes would interfere with the NSERC.

One of my friends in another lab did an NSERC and also studied for the MCAT and did fairly well on it and took the evening classes for the MCAT Kaplan course

With the MCAT 'out of the way' (for now...), I decided to apply for the NSERC this year

I have to decide whether this is feasible. I don't like the idea of spending 4 months on nothing but the MCAT. But I don't want to kill myself with overwork.

Has anyone tried this or know anyone that did?

Yes I know quite a few students who did this last summer, and the summer before that. The MCAT is a very difficult test and everyone will need to spend different amounts of time studying for it. I did it last summer for instance, and I was working every day from 9-3:30 and volunteered A LOT. In retrospect, I wish I would have spent more time studying for the MCAT.

Talk to your potential NSERC supervisor before committing to the NSERC. Tell him or her that you intend on writing the MCAT and doing well on it. I'm sure that they will understand that the MCAT will be an important part of your summer and will tell you straight up what your time commitment should be, and you will have a better picture in terms of the feasibility of writing the MCAT while pursuing an NSERC. Do you know your potential supervisor very well? If you do, ask them if he or she has had NSERC students writing the MCAT and how much time they spent in the lab.

I'm also in the same predicament although I am fairly sure i'll opt out of doing Nserc research being that the working hours are mon-fri 9-5 , for some lighter volunteer work.

My friend got 39 R this past summer while doing Nserc USRA, so it is possible, but Knowing him i wasn't surprised.

Considering you can write the mcat many times without penalty, it all depends if you want to risk the possibility of re-writing the mcat again.

Thanks for the replies.

I have some exposure to MCAT material since I took the course with Princeton in summer 2010. I didn't study hard core for it at the time and didn't take the exam for various reasons.

Also, I did MCAT bio/chem/phy in my High School and the way they teach and test etched it into my head so studying the material itself shouldn't be too bad (at least that's what I found last summer). My focus will be on doing past tests and practicing.

I'll be discussing the hours with the supervisor this week. It's a molecular bio lab, if that helps in any way.

I was working FT on an NSERC USRA and wrote the MCAT twice (once in July and once in September). I also knew quite a few other people who were doing the same thing.

I would go to work from 9-5, and then study about 4 hours after. On weekends, I would put in full days, but those days were mostly spent doing practice tests.

It is feasible, but it also means having no life for the summer. So, it's really up to you. Maybe you already have background knowledge you have in bio/chem/phys, and don't need to spend that much time. Also, do you want to sacrifice your entire summer.

My MCAT wasn't stellar. But I think no matter how much time I put in, I would have gotten around the same mark - VR killed me both times.

Then the following summer, I rewarded myself with two months of traveling and splurging, after getting accepted, of course. Delayed gratification! :D

Good luck.

i think it'll be pretty doable. i studied for the MCAT in summer while concurrently holding an NSERC USRA. i took the course with kaplan but didn't really start studying the material until 2 weeks before my test. i found that that worked for me well because i was able to diverge my attention away from the looming test. my friend committed his life to studying the MCAT in the summer but didn't do as well as he could've done/on his practice tests. i find that having something else to do during that summer of studying for the MCAT is better than just dwelling at home and cramming. it really depends on you. if you are ok with sitting at home all summer thinking about the MCAT then go ahead and do that. i know i'd go crazy after week 2 lol

good luck!

i did it, it's a bit tough though, i'd be at work at 8:30, leave at 5:00 and study till 8. if you don't have any other commitments i'd say it's doable. i did good and only had to write it once so i think it's def possible, although it kind of sucks when your friends have all this free time and ask you to do fun stuff and you gotta study, but i spose that's how it goes, lol

I have to decide whether this is feasible. I don't like the idea of spending 4 months on nothing but the MCAT. But I don't want to kill myself with overwork.

Thanks for the replies.

I have some exposure to MCAT material since I took the course with Princeton in summer 2010. I didn't study hard core for it at the time and didn't take the exam for various reasons.

Also, I did MCAT bio/chem/phy in my High School and the way they teach and test etched it into my head so studying the material itself shouldn't be too bad (at least that's what I found last summer). My focus will be on doing past tests and practicing.

I'll be discussing the hours with the supervisor this week. It's a molecular bio lab, if that helps in any way.

I honestly think that is key :) Some supervisors require a lot from you, others are more flexible. Knowing what your prof wants from you will go a long way.

I pulled off a summer of full-time research along with a (unrelated) correspondence course, but the course ended about a month before the MCAT. I did pretty well. It's definitely possible, but during the week, every waking hour that wasn't spent eating, showering, or going to and from work was spent studying. I was able to spend time with friends on weekends, but as soon as the conversation started getting silly or pointless, out came the MCAT books.

Guest copacetic

its doable yeah. alot of people do it. but it also depends on the lab. the work i was doing was not wet lab stuff so i had flexibility...though i procrastinated anyways and didnt get to real studying till 3 weeks before the exam. I pretty much told my PI 'see you in 3 weeks' but he was cool with it cause he was an MD and not a PHD and got that the MCAT was kinda important. I always advise people to do research with MDs if possible and not their school profs. MDs tend to have a positive attitude towards you wanting to get into med school and are more supportive.

I did something similar to what you're describing. 12 week research program, 9-5. Commuted 3 hours each day. Worked 10 hours on Sundays (cut this down to 5 about half way through the summer). Self-studied for the MCAT (EK + Berkeley Review). In August (the month I had off) I went on a vacation for a week, but I managed to cover MCAT physics while I was away. Last 2-2.5 weeks before the MCAT I went into lock down. Came out with 33S

The only thing I'm disappointed about is my verbal score (10)- I don't think this score had anything to do with my study plan (I was constantly on the cusp of 10/11 in my practice tests leading up to it, so I knew it would swing either way). However, I do think I could have done a little bit better overall. If I were to do it all again, I would have stuck to my 9-5, dropped the weekend shifts entirely, and I would have been more efficient with my studying (I had only gotten through 1/3 of the material by August, and I could have studied on the Go Train home). I really do not regret working though- I had an amazing time, got to

meet new people and kept myself sane...

I just wanted to add that depending on what techniques you use for your summer project, you may have a lot of downtime. I used to use downtime to work on chemistry. Also, if you have to commute, you can use that time as well to study (unfortunately I didn't realise this until the end of the summer- I have motion sickness and so I thought this wouldn't be possible).

Tsk tsk Leon. I thought you of all people whould have used the search function on here for this question. :mad:

:P

Anyway, it's totally doable. I did it, plus took an MCAT class and did fine on the actual exam. Like Newf, I took time off before the exam though. For 2 weeks I left my project and focused only on the MCAT. You need to make sure your supervisor is cool with you doing that though.

Tsk tsk Leon. I thought you of all people whould have used the search function on here for this question. :mad:

:P

Anyway, it's totally doable. I did it, plus took an MCAT class and did fine on the actual exam. Like Newf, I took time off before the exam though. For 2 weeks I left my project and focused only on the MCAT. You need to make sure your supervisor is cool with you doing that though.

lol! I did search but we've got a lot of new members and I anticipated new input. :)

I did NSERC USRA and MCAT this past summer. I started working in a biological chemistry lab in late April (immediately following exams). I studied for about 2 weeks at night, and then wrote my MCAT Mid-Late May. It's definitely doable, but I'd recommend writing the MCAT in late August/ early September (unlike my plan). I managed to score 39 S (on a wing and a prayer), but it was pretty damn stressful.

I completed an NSERC USRA at a university in Ontario as part of an exchange (I'm completing a degree in Atlantic Canada), and I wrote the MCAT that summer. I enjoyed working and did not take a course- I simply studied myself and did practice tests, mostly in the month before I wrote, in early August. I did moderately well on the MCAT, and also got to enjoy another city and lab group. It's definitely doable. However, I'm a chemistry honours student, which meant that I didn't study for gen chem, and my organic studying time was limited.

I did the course (Princeton Review) and a full time research position. It was a squeeze and I had little spare time but I managed to stay commited to a soccer team so it wasnt too overwhelming. I really would reccomend having some sort of leisure activity because otherwise four months of that grind will just wear you down.

I'll also mention that it may have been easier for me because I was able to not worry about physics and orgo... and (mistakenly) thought I didn't have to worry about written sample... which cut down the amount of work I had to study for over those months.

Definitely do-able. The summer I wrote my MCAT I did an NSERC-USRA and self-studied for the MCAT. However my typical days didn't go beyond 2-3 PM in the lab, so afterwards was when I really hit the books. Took a few days off before the test, did some practice exams, and ended up with a balanced 31S. Not breath-taking, but it makes the cutoffs and that's all that matters for me!

Archived