Premed 101 Forums

What are my chances for Alberta schools?

Hi guys

I am currently Ontario Applicant, I have 3.54 CGPA, 3.63 for 2 best years, My MCAT is 12/8/12 , I will start Msc in Cell biology at U of C next year, so hopefully I will be considered IP for MD program , I have a lot of EC, volunteer work, shadowing etc , do you think with this stat , I have any chance for IP admission or it is too low even for IP?

Thanks

Hi guys

I am currently Ontario Applicant, I have 3.54 CGPA, 3.63 for 2 best years, My MCAT is 12/8/12 , I will start Msc in Cell biology at U of C next year, so hopefully I will be considered IP for MD program , I have a lot of EC, volunteer work, shadowing etc , do you think with this stat , I have any chance for IP admission or it is too low even for IP?

Thanks

I've seen people get interviews with lower cGPAs than that.

Thanks for quick response, but have they been accepted, I have been wait listed for two years in States with no acceptance :(

What sort of ECs and volunteer work do you have?

Your academic score would probably be fairly low. Your MCAT might help, but it depends on your writing score. To get an interview you would need better than average extracurriculars and letters of reference.

Your score going into the interview would probably be near the bottom of that pack, so you would need to do quite well on the interview to get an invite (probably within the top third). You would really need to do well on your interviews.

It's definitely a possibility but you would need to market yourself very well.

I wrote my MCAT multiple times since English is my second language, unfortunately I got O in this writing but I have Q in another score!

I shadowed family physician for 2 years, worked in hospital for 4 years, worked for sexual assault Crisis call center for 2 years, work as pharmacy assistant for 2 years and I have typical pre-med EC: founded two clubs, lot of fund raising, premed clubs etc

I had many family problems during my undergraduate and I did not do well my GPA is

1st year (part time) 3.7

2nd year(full time) 3.34

3rd year(full) 3.64

4thyear(full) 3.6

I did 5th year part time 3.5 :(

I wrote my MCAT multiple times since English is my second language, unfortunately I got O in this writing but I have Q in another score!

I shadowed family physician for 2 years, worked in hospital for 4 years, worked for sexual assault Crisis call center for 2 years, work as pharmacy assistant for 2 years and I have typical pre-med EC: founded two clubs, lot of fund raising, premed clubs etc

I had many family problems during my undergraduate and I did not do well my GPA is

1st year (part time) 3.7

2nd year(full time) 3.34

3rd year(full) 3.64

4thyear(full) 3.6

I did 5th year part time 3.5 :(

This is actually better than I was expecting (no offense). Your ECs are probably above average, you have some "standard" ones but you've been doing them for a long time. If you've been a consistent volunteer and can get good reference letters I imagine you're probably within the top third for ECs and references. The trick would just be to do a great job explaining how they've affected you on your impact statements.

U of C counts only one set of MCATs, but it's whatever set you select. A 32O is actually fine for U of C, it gets you a 10/15 which will probably help you a little in getting an interview, and hurt you a little bit (a VERY little bit) post interview.

I would use the extra space to explain your poor academic performance in second year as well (with respect to family issues).

I think if you write your application well you would have a fairly good chance of getting an interview if you were IP. You would probably need to be in the top quarter or top third of interview scores though to get an offer.

I have one more question, I am Ontario resident if I start master at uofc as full time, how many years I have to stay in Calgary to be considered IP?

Thanks

Need to be a resident for at least 1 full year prior to the start date for which entry is sought. So for 2012 in take you would have to be living here by July 2011.

Thanks, I have 2 more questions, how much master can affect my situation? I am thinking to move now and start working instead of master, and also is it true that Alberta government will pay you as much as 150,000 loan for studying medicine or dentistry in United stats or other province?

Thanks, I have 2 more questions, how much master can affect my situation? I am thinking to move now and start working instead of master, and also is it true that Alberta government will pay you as much as 150,000 loan for studying medicine or dentistry in United stats or other province?

I have no idea about the loan situation, but as far as how getting a Masters will affect your situation with the Alberta schools, U of A will give an extra 1 point on your application for having a Masters. U of C doesn't indicate a direct score increase if you have a grad degree, but typically they tend to admit a good number of grad students if you look at the stats. The non-academic portion of your application will be strengthened by your grad degree due to publications, conference participation, work history, scholarships etc.

For a complete summary of how grad degrees are looked at at Canadian schools see this thread

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39007

How come you didn't get accepted in the states for two years? Which schools did you apply to? Your GPA seems within the range of acceptance, say the least.

Archived