Premed 101 Forums

How to write Personal Narrative Abstact?

kay0928

Hi!

I just finish my personal narrative and am about to start my abstract. But I really have no idea how to write this kind of things. I can't even find instructions online.

So, anyone who knows how to write Personal Narrative Abstacts, could you please give me some general tips, such as what to include and to avoid, etc?

Thank you for your help. ^_^

There are a few brief instructions on the McGill website.

Basically, the abstract should be a "concise summary" of the content of your personal narrative. The space is tight, so just summarize the most important points of your essay in a sentence or two each. Also, be sure not to introduce any new information not contained in the full personal narrative.

I agree. Indeed it is also a way to test if your personal statement is well structured or not. I suggest you take the first sentence (or the last one) from each paragraph and just put them together; then try to revise each of them to a more concise and eye-catching sentence.

Good luck.

So, anyone who knows how to write Personal Narrative Abstacts, could you please give me some general tips, such as what to include and to avoid, etc?

Pretend you are summarizing to a friend or prof what your narrative says. Yyou will hit the highlights of your essay, your theme, a short statement summarizing the most important facts and your conclusion. Say it out loud to yourself. Then, write it down. The Abstract lets the reader know if he/she is interested in what you have to say. It needs to attract the reader, make the reader want to reader the entire narrative. It needs to be accurate - precise and concise, and interesting!

Archived