Premed 101 Forums

For those of you rejected...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hahaha...this is my second time getting rejected from them...guess it wasn't meant to be :P

let's just hope another school's nice so I don't have to return for a third round of rejections next year :P

I will come back here when I am done crying. Darn McMaster, rejected me after high school and rejected me again. This might be a bit cliche now, but "you guys haven't seen the last of me. You will regret it"

Tears

I will come back here when I am done crying. Darn McMaster, rejected me after high school and rejected me again. This might be a bit cliche now, but "you guys haven't seen the last of me. You will regret it"

Tears

LOL! I'm in the same boat! Got rejected from their Health Sciences program and now this. I'm planning to rewrite my MCAt this summer, hoping for a higher verbal and applying again next year. If anything us rejects should have a bit of an advantage since we know what CASPER is like now and thus possibly improve for next year's cycle!

I'm just frustrated with the entire medical application process... all of us work so hard, do so much and because some test mac made up said we're not suited to practise medicine, we're not given a chance to prove ourselves... I know mac loves being innovative but can someone point me to some studies dont on the casper to show it's scientifically valid and reliable?

Meh, wasn't expecting interview anyways; only in my 3rd year still; first 2 yrs GPA 3.56 (was enrolled in a dual-degree program), verbal was 10, felt good about CASPer; by the way, what's stopping someone from doing their CASPer for them? I read in Globe & Mail that typing fingerprints won't be used this year.

I'm frustrated by my undergraduate GPA. It's low, and no matter what I can't make up for it. I have a masters degree and solid MCAT score, but even if I get interviews, my undergraduate GPA is still keeping me from moving forward. I'm faced with the hard decision of going back to undergrad for at least a 5th year, or going abroad.

My wGPA for U of T is only 3.64. I'm not sure what it would be for ottawa, I didn't apply because they don't take graduate degrees into account. I'm getting really nervous now for Queens and U of T, which are as of now my only options for next year.

With a Masters degree, your wGPA is fine for UT. It won't be holding you back. Your grad performance and research productivity is factored into your 60% academic score.

GPA also won't hold you back at Queens.

I think things will work out for you!

I'm just frustrated with the entire medical application process... all of us work so hard, do so much and because some test mac made up said we're not suited to practise medicine, we're not given a chance to prove ourselves... I know mac loves being innovative but can someone point me to some studies dont on the casper to show it's scientifically valid and reliable?

I have to agree. Even before the results were out (hell, even before the actual CASPer, so it wasn't just in light of my failure), I was surprised that Mac made CASPer worth 46%. Essentially, it's like saying the work you've done for 3+ years and the summers you've spent studying for the MCAT (especially the VR) don't matter as much as our 90 minute test we've started this year...

But Mac is known for trying to be different. Here's hoping we get in somewhere else instead of having to reapply to the rest of the schools in the future who are rumoured to soon implement CASPer-like tests themselves.

No interview offer for me here. Though, there's really not much for me to rant about I guess. It wasn't a surprise, CASPer went pretty badly for me. I am skeptical of how valid of a system it is to select MMI candidates, but I'm glad there's variety all over the country to give a chance to people with more diverse profiles.

The bright side? It's a wake up call that I need to get in gear and prepare myself for any future CASPers or MMIs.

Good luck everyone.

I have to agree. Even before the results were out (hell, even before the actual CASPer, so it wasn't just in light of my failure), I was surprised that Mac made CASPer worth 46%. Essentially, it's like saying the work you've done for 3+ years and the summers you've spent studying for the MCAT (especially the VR) don't matter as much as our 90 minute test we've started this year...

But Mac is known for trying to be different. Here's hoping we get in somewhere else instead of having to reapply to the rest of the schools in the future who are rumoured to soon implement CASPer-like tests themselves.

Curiosity, which schools?:confused: I've only heard of schools implementing the MMI for their interviews but not so much as implementing a CASPer-like testing system pre-interview.

Wow everyone seems to handle rejections so well. Personally I haven't been more depressed in my life. This rejection has ruined my birthday. Lost my chances at Calgary and McGill also... how do you guys stay so positive? I'm not trying to bring anyone down. I just really want to feel better about all this.:(

Well .... who cares. Mcmaster is a 3 year program, and we wouldnt get summers off. Who wants that anyway :P

trying to be optimistic here....

oh and i dont like their self-directed approach there as well.. i know people personally in that program that i would NOT want to go to, judging by how much "effort" they put into educating themselves.

Cheers to all rejected from mac.. maybe its a blessing afterall. go U of T and Queen's!!! To better news in the next couple days...

Curiosity, which schools?:confused: I've only heard of schools implementing the MMI for their interviews but not so much as implementing a CASPer-like testing system pre-interview.

Cass, in terms of other schools, I can't remember where I read it, but I remember reading or hearing about how CASPer was such a success for Mac and how soon, more schools might implement a similar screening process. Of course, like I said, it's just a rumour, and it doesn't lend much credibility that I can't remember where I read this (nor does looking this up online help since all I get are results of Casper the friendly ghost. CASPer, friendly? my ass)

Well .... who cares. Mcmaster is a 3 year program, and we wouldnt get summers off. Who wants that anyway :P

oh and i dont like their self-directed approach there as well.. i know people personally in that program that i would NOT want to go to, judging by how much "effort" they put into educating themselves.

Cheers to all rejected from mac.. maybe its a blessing afterall. go U of T and Queen's!!! To better news in the next couple days...

To help the sour grapes situation we're all currently in, I'll relate a story of when I was speaking to a project supervisor we had for one of my Phys courses in 3rd year, and he's a doc at University Hospital (though I think he's more research-based). Anyways, I was asking him last year his opinions of graduates from the different medical schools in Ontario, and after mentioning how great they all are and all that jazz, he mentioned how that the students from McMaster really have their "skill-sets" pat down, and they're quick thinkers (pretty much all the stuff they're trying to tease out from the CASPer and MMI) but when it comes to rotations and residency, the students don't have their "knowledge" or theory down as well as graduates from UofT or Queen's. Of course, I don't know how true this is, I've never looked at MCCEE/MCCQE results...but right now, I'm going to definitely pretend this is true, to help my heart break

Wow everyone seems to handle rejections so well. Personally I haven't been more depressed in my life. This rejection has ruined my birthday. Lost my chances at Calgary and McGill also... how do you guys stay so positive? I'm not trying to bring anyone down. I just really want to feel better about all this.:(

I'm so sorry to hear that! I hope you get a belated birthday present later this week with regards to other schools!

Being an oop with mediocre cGPA and questionable VR, I expected this rejection today, but I wish we could at least get some feedback/scores on how well we performed on CASPER.

I am really curious about how I performed on CASPER, because I hope to get a better estimation about CASPER for MMIs in other schools.

When you say "badly" on CASPer, what do you mean?

Hm, think back to how you felt right after you wrote CASPer. For me, I felt like I messed it up. The answers I was able to give were so darn crappy I kind of knew I wasn't going to get an interview anyway. I have no idea what my actual score was, if that's what you're wondering.

Haha I feel kind of the same way - I'm not sure how I like the PBL approach. And I don't know how I feel about the whole 3 year thing. But that's not to say that if I got in, I wouldn't take it.

It's so unfortunate that you had to get this e-mail on your birthday!

I think, for me, it has to do a lot with the mindset that I've coerced myself into. I'm very realistic, perhaps even pessimistic, about predicting outcomes. Also, I'm struggling with a killer workload at the moment, so I just don't have the time or energy to think much about my Med apps anymore.

I guess it might help to think that this is only one application cycle, which in the big picture is nothing at all. With the knowledge and insight you've gained from this year's cycle, you can apply again next year. Don't give up!

Happy Birthday! Sorry to hear that your day was ruined by the bad news from Mac. I guess we are all quite disappointed, perhaps angry, and more anxious after receiving the rejection email but what good would it be to rant and sulk online? Too much energy wasted:p On the bright side, at least now we all know what CASPer is like and can better prepare for it for the next application cycle.

Nice side story:

Friend of mine was at Chapters looking to buy some PCAT materials which was located close the MCAT prep books. A lady approached him and asked if he was applying for medical school. When he said he wasn't, the lady told him of how her son had applied to several Ontario schools and was rejected by U of T but in the end got accepted by John Hopkins :eek:

Don't lose hope everyone! Hopefully some of us will hear better news from other schools that we've applied to.

Nice side story:

Friend of mine was at Chapters looking to buy some PCAT materials which was located close the MCAT prep books. A lady approached him and asked if he was applying for medical school. When he said he wasn't, the lady told him of how her son had applied to several Ontario schools and was rejected by U of T but in the end got accepted by Johns Hopkins :eek:

Don't lose hope everyone! Hopefully some of us will hear better news from other schools that we've applied to.

Sorry, a pet peeve of mine. Not surprised by the story though. I have had a few acquaintances interview/get accepted at JHU, HMS (not Stanford though) and being rejected from U/T. Not too surprised. All these schools have a holistic approach to admissions and it is competitive.

PS: I'm on board the rejection train in this thread. Expecting it w/ my sub-par verbal (9). Holding out a lot of hope for my alma mater to show some love :).

I was slightly confused. I have a 3.96 GPA and a 12 on VR. I also thought I aced the CASPer (I did an MMI for U of T pharmacy and got accepted last year). Then I didnt even get wait listed. Straight up rejection :D

I was expecting an interview, but things don't always work out. Anyways, I don't really feel dissapointed...this was the first time and I really was not expecting to actually to get into any schools. I'm still third year and I'm still waiting on the other schools for now. Hopefully everyone gets better news from the other schools they applied to.

PAICE

Archived