Premed 101 Forums

Question about Radiology residency in the States

Hi everyone

I am currently a first year med student at uoft. Since my first failure on my first exam I have put myself together and worked hard and aced the rest of school. In the mean time I really enjoyed radiology so I am just wondering what it takes to match into that residency both in Canada and in the States. I plan to shadow radiologists this summer and do I also need research? What does the US schools care about the most when it comes to matching into their competitive programs? I have some families down in Boston in the states so just wondering if there's any chance for a uoft grad to match into harvard's radiology program? Any advice would be helpful. I know Ian Wong did his radiology residency in the states so if you could comment I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Plenty of past threads to answer your question bro. Browse through the radiology forum and clerkship forum for threads on Carms matching. Basically, for Canada, you need to be awesome all around plus networking. Search for posts by sarakj.

For the States, you need to have stellar board scores as a bare minimum. There was an article featured on SDN that talked about matching to rads a few months back (SDN is a US site).

Hi everyone

I am currently a first year med student at uoft. Since my first failure on my first exam I have put myself together and worked hard and aced the rest of school. In the mean time I really enjoyed radiology so I am just wondering what it takes to match into that residency both in Canada and in the States. I plan to shadow radiologists this summer and do I also need research? What does the US schools care about the most when it comes to matching into their competitive programs? I have some families down in Boston in the states so just wondering if there's any chance for a uoft grad to match into harvard's radiology program? Any advice would be helpful. I know Ian Wong did his radiology residency in the states so if you could comment I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

I wouldn't worry too much about failing one exam. I was told ~70% of med students flunk at least one exam during their entire med school education.

If you want to do rads at competitive programs you'll need research. Also for the US, high step 1 scores and references letters!

out of curiosity .. why Harvard? you'd work your butt off with long hours compared to some other rad programs in the Bassstaaan area!

Archived