Premed 101 Forums

edmonton vs toronto (moving to edmonton)

dentss

So I may be moving to Edmonton soon from toronto...Can anyone who has experienced this or is currently living in edmonton offer advice on the following:

1. how does edmonton differ from toronto (living, costs, community e.t.c)

2. what would be a good rental apartment for a single person to stay in downtown...preferably close to central downtown (jasper, macewan university e.t.c)

In general, Alberta costs more to live in than Ontario. however, I have been in touch with Ontarians and prices are going up there too...but I believe they aren't has high as here for the basics. We may not have PST but then we pay in another way ;)

Living downtown, by yourself, is going to cost $$$$. Of course, there will be the odd place that is a steal but you need time to look out for it.

I personally prefer to rent privately than to rent from one of the big rental companies...not as transient population in your building, etc.

I haven't had much time to see a lot of Edmonton's cultural community, but I believe it is pretty multicultural and there's a lot of festivals here. It isn't Toronto by any stretch, but there is diversity.

Groceries are cheaper in Toronto, but there is HST for everything else and I would have thought renting in downtown Toronto would be more expensive. I can't make a direct comparison though.

Yes, Edmonton is pretty multicultural and you can find things to do/see (check out see/vue magazines). Colder and drier but sunnier and the air quality is better. More spread out, more difficult to get around without a car. The river valley is the largest stretch of urban parkland in North America.

Archived