Premed 101 Forums

2011 Accepted/Rejected for Interview - Email Time - GPA, ECs/Volunteering

future_doc

Ahhh welll... sure sucks to get that kind of news...

Good luck to everyone else!

btw, here are my stats:

cGPA: 3.84/4.0

EC/Volunteering: Probably my strongest attribute.

DOWNFALL: Bad grades in CEGEP science prerequisites and not doing full coarse-load

It's too bad... McGill was my first choice

Keeping fingers crossed for french schools

Goodluck everyone else on getting an invite!

Woohoo! I can FINALLY write one of these!

Time stamp: 5:00pm

Feb. 22 AM

IP

cGPA: 3.88/4

Science pre-req GPA: 4.0/4 (no MCAT submitted)

The rest is subjective, although I feel I had a strong essay, references, and EC's.

Good luck to everyone else and see you in 2 1/2 weeks! :)

I'm guessing the reason I got refused was my CEGEP science marks.

CEGEP - Great first year but horrible second year.

B.Sc. in Microbiology - cGPA 3.28 (picked it up to 3.75 in my last two semesters)

B.A. in Psychology with minor in Behavioral Science - cGPA 3.91

I have a lot of summer research experiences (including clinical lab), one publication and solid extracircular activities in student clubs and volunteering.

Within two bachelor's, they say the only look at the second one. Also, I did not do the MCAT. And so the only reason I can see why they refused to give me an interview is because they don't think I am capable in science (although Psychology is a science).

Good luck to everyone who is moving on! :)

But keep in mind that this one was 500 characters, not words. Even with the CV highlights added in, we're talking well under 500 words.

It was actually 900 characters for the abstract, and 1900 characters for CV highlights. I think that's around 500 words.

Invited IP

cGPA 3.62/4.00

MCAT 33Q

CEGEP science pre-req: ~90

My status on minerva is "Further Review required". When I receved a reply from AED med I was told: "that those with Further Review REquired indicates that they were invited for an interview, but there was a technical glitch with the letters being sent on Friday."

I am IP, CGPA 3.75, overal gpa 3.55;

experience: research (8 months), patient attendant+ care giver of total of 3 yrs

Well, one thing remains consistent with McGill: for IP, GPA means nothing...

Not sure how I feel about that.

I was refused too, and I have a feeling that what really matters from now on is the science prerequisites GPA, since they can't juge us on the MCAT anymore...

Refused :( Heartbreaking really. Any chance you can get an appeal on a refused decision?

I really felt that I achieved a lot in my field even though it was not health related...Apparently they didn't, do you guys think it affected the final decision? I know I had terrible science grades in CEGEP, but I thought they only looked at the GPA.

Undergraduate: Actuarial Mathematics Major/Finance Minor (GPA: 4.02/4.3)

EC:

-President of the actuarial mentor program with the Mathematics and Statistics Student Association

-Volunteering tutoring

-2 Internships in top consulting firm, in which, during that time I developed a program that is used in the Montreal and Toronto offices

-5 Society of Actuaries Exams

-Plenty of sports teams

Acceptances

Invited@@@@@@@@

Got the interview!!!! E-mail came at exactly 5:00 pm!!!

My status just turned to "further review required"

Mine too! :)

I thought I was rejected for sure, but then I saw this on twitter:

"aedmedmcgill: Minerva updated for invitees ("Further review required"). If your status shows this and you did not get an e-mail, please let us know. Thnx"

So I checked my status without much hope... This is a nice surprise, that's for sure!

Congrats sorena!

I also have the same thing....Further review required yet no email

Rejections

Refused

Refused :( Heartbreaking really. Any chance you can get an appeal on a refused decision?

I really felt that I achieved a lot in my field even though it was not health related...Apparently they didn't, do you guys think it affected the final decision? I know I had terrible science grades in CEGEP, but I thought they only looked at the GPA.

Undergraduate: Actuarial Mathematics Major/Finance Minor (GPA: 4.02/4.3)

EC:

-President of the actuarial mentor program with the Mathematics and Statistics Student Association

-Volunteering tutoring

-2 Internships in top consulting firm, in which, during that time I developed a program that is used in the Montreal and Toronto offices

-5 Society of Actuaries Exams

-Plenty of sports teams

Although the admissions office states that all decisions are final and cannot be appealed, there is a Reconsideration Policy that allows you to ask for a revision of the procedures, if you think there was an error during the evaluation of your application.

The policy can be found here:

http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/admissions-decisions

As for science grades in Cegep, they do take them into consideration, even for university candidates.

http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/what-are-we-looking/academics-university

I guess if you took advanced courses in some subjects during university (say maths, in your case), then they would probably put more emphasis on those grades than on your Cegep grades. But if you did not take additionnal courses in a certain subject during university, than your Cegep grades are all they have to assess your performance in science prerequisites.

I know it sucks, but I think there is a part of luck in this process. So if you don't succeed the first time, try, and try again until you get in! :)

Guys, the cegep grades DON'T matter if you have an undergrad degree. I know people who got interviews and their cegep prereqs were in the low 70's with a couple of failed prereq classes. So, fairly sure cegep grades have next to nothing to do with interview invites.

Guys, the cegep grades DON'T matter if you have an undergrad degree.

Well, that certainly doesn't seem to be their official position. Although there is no hard cut-off, the website clearly mentions that Cegep science prerequisites are evaluated, even for university applicants if prereqs were completed in Cegep. But I guess an applicant would be able to overcome low science grades if they have an otherwise excellent application...

Well, that certainly doesn't seem to be their official position. Although there is no hard cut-off, the website clearly mentions that Cegep science prerequisites are evaluated, even for university applicants if prereqs were completed in Cegep. But I guess an applicant would be able to overcome low science grades if they have an otherwise excellent application...

I think they just take into account if you took all of the prereqs and passed them. Nothing more...

Thanks for answering on short notice shouldieventry. I guess the mistake I made was assume that I would get an interview. My CEGEP chemistry and biology grades weren't stellar (around 70), but I thought I showed that I had ability to succeed through the medicine course load (I took twice a 6 class semester that were all math classes and getting 4.15 GPA, while passing an actuary exam each time and participating in the student association).

I know that I submitted my application on January the 14th at 6:00pm, but it shows on my Minerva that it got received on the 17th of January. I do intend to call tomorrow to clear this up, but do you think it might have something to do with this?

I'll definitely keep trying though and expose myself more to the medical world. I am graduating now so I have to make a decision to either go onto the job market, or apply for graduate studies in Actuarial Mathematics (Still not relevant to the medical field though)

For those of you who were invited to interview, is there a stated deadline for you to RSVP by?

This would be of interest to people on the wait-list, since that deadline would be the earliest that anyone would expect to hear about a spot opening up, unless anyone declines their interview outright before that.

I think they just take into account if you took all of the prereqs and passed them. Nothing more...

Sorry to insist, but here is the exact quote from the admissions website:

"Basic Science Performance

The assessment of basic science performance is based upon a candidate's academic results in the relevant science prerequisite courses as undertaken either in college, university, or acceptable pre-university alternatives as described in the requirements. Advanced studies in the basic sciences may also be considered in this assessment.

Successful applicants tend to have a science prerequisite GPA (SciGPA) above 3.5 (average approximately 3.8), or an MCAT equal to or greater than 30 (average approximately 33). Applicants with a SciGPA below 3.2 or with an MCAT below 27 are rarely considered."

Maybe you're thinking of the process at the french universities?

Thanks for answering on short notice shouldieventry. I guess the mistake I made was assume that I would get an interview. My CEGEP chemistry and biology grades weren't stellar (around 70), but I thought I showed that I had ability to succeed through the medicine course load (I took twice a 6 class semester that were all math classes and getting 4.15 GPA, while passing an actuary exam each time and participating in the student association).

I know that I submitted my application on January the 14th at 6:00pm, but it shows on my Minerva that it got received on the 17th of January. I do intend to call tomorrow to clear this up, but do you think it might have something to do with this?

I'll definitely keep trying though and expose myself more to the medical world. I am graduating now so I have to make a decision to either go onto the job market, or apply for graduate studies in Actuarial Mathematics (Still not relevant to the medical field though)

As someone else pointed on another thread, about 550 applicants did NOT get an interview, and I am sure a big portion of them had a solid application. So the difference between someone invited and someone refused can be quite small, and it becomes pretty hard to know in advance that you will get an interview.

As for submitting your application on january 14th, I doubt that was a problem. My status on Minerva shows the same date as you for the receipt of my application. Since the deadline was a saturday, I guess it didn't get processed until the next monday, hence the receipt date.

Don't give up! I'm sure if this is what you want, you'll find a way to get in! :)

My status on Minerva changed to "Further Review Required." No additional explanation.

Should I call them?

Edit: Nevermind, I am an idiot. Just read the whole thread. :)

Yay!

cGPA >3.95

MCAT 36R (submitted)

OOP

Ehh? You're an OOP and your status just changed to Further Review Required?! Call them ASAP! The OOP interviews were on Jan 24th!

Archived