Premed 101 Forums

Cegep prerequisites vs MCAT?

mercaddict

Hi everyone

I am an IP student who is currently doing his second degree. I will probably apply to the MDCM program in 2012. My question is relatively simple, and I am sorry if it has been answered previously on this forum; I however did not find the information I was seeking while searching the forum.

Extract from McGill's website:

"Where the MCAT is optional, students may choose to submit MCAT results if they are confident that these scores provide stronger evidence of their abilities in the basic sciences."

The MCAT is obviously optional for me. However, I didn't do too well at Cegep, for a number of reasons. I would be ready to go through the MCAT since I am very confident I could get a strong mark. The only thing is... would this mark replace my Cegep prereqs' performance in the admission process?

Thanks for your help :)

They will technically only look at your science prereqs from CEGEP. If you have taken equivalent university level courses in basic sciences, they will use those to calculate your science GPA. If you have not taken any additional basic science courses in University (to replace CEGEP grades), then I would highly suggest that you take the MCAT. You don't look anything, besides a few hundred dollars for MCAT exam fees and a few more hundred for prep courses, if you need them. If you're not happy with your score, just don't submit it after. Like it says on the website, if you do good in the MCAT, that will show AdCom that you understand the basic sciences.

Hope that helps... My CEGEP science grades pretty much ruined my chances this year... got my rejection on friday... not to scare you or anything, but make sure you check all your prereqs.

Best of luck

Thanks for your answer

My cegep marks where average. But the way I understand what is written on McGill's website, it seems that if I deliberately take the MCAT, nail it, and submit my results even if optional, the MCAT will be the basis of admission for my basic science abilities.

Does it make any sense to you?

I would assume so...

But you should just call med addmissions and ask. 514-398-3517

I would advise you to wait a few weeks before calling, since they are processing all the university applications right now and won't have much time to answer your questions.

Archived