Premed 101 Forums

Full courseload and interview invitations

Letsdothisthing

Can those who DID NOT do 5 classes per semester during their undergrad state

1) Whether or not they got an interview

2) How they addressed the issue in their application (if at all)

3) What they were told my the admissions office or other relevant sources

4) How many classes per semester they did take

Congrats to everyone granted an interview and good luck to everyone!

Hi,

I am finishing my bachelor degree and I was refused by Mcgill pre-interview. I did full course load for all sessions except one (I had 4 courses instead of 5). The reason why I did this is quite simple: I didn't know it was mandatory at Mcgill:( . I didn't mention anything in my application: I had no good reasons and I thought that only one session with 4 courses is not that much of a big deal. I had no feedback from the admissions office after my rejection, but I plan to call them in april to see if it influenced their decision.

Hope it answers your questions!

My personnal feeling about my rejection is 1) Relatively low GPA (3.55, sciGPA 3.35), 2) higher level of competition this year. (I thought I had great ECs and abstract though...) I wonder if they even looked if I had full course load...

I talked to the adcom back in the fall about the full course load requirement. Honestly, I think it is school dependent - I went to university in BC at SFU and my school's definition of "full course load" was 4 courses instead of 5, which is what I took throughout (except for 2 brutal semesters where I took 5). I was so confused over this requirement that I almost didn't apply to McGill this year.

The office does know that different schools may have different definitions of this sort. I even asked them if I should get my undergrad school's registrar/ advisor to send in supporting documentation about the full courseload requirements at SFU, and qdmissions said this wasn't necessary, and that they are used to seeing and dealing with transcripts that have different systems than McGill's.

Letsdosomething - hope that helps, but if you're really concerned about this, I would make an appointment with the admissions office to discuss your particular situation with them. It's worth it. I almost didn't apply this year which would have been such a loss as I did get an interview!

1. Yes

2. No

3. Never asked

4. Depending on the semester: 4, 5, or 6 courses.

Hi,

I am finishing my bachelor degree and I was refused by Mcgill pre-interview. I did full course load for all sessions except one (I had 4 courses instead of 5). The reason why I did this is quite simple: I didn't know it was mandatory at Mcgill:( . I didn't mention anything in my application: I had no good reasons and I thought that only one session with 4 courses is not that much of a big deal. I had no feedback from the admissions office after my rejection, but I plan to call them in april to see if it influenced their decision.

Hope it answers your questions!

My personnal feeling about my rejection is 1) Relatively low GPA (3.55, sciGPA 3.35), 2) higher level of competition this year. (I thought I had great ECs and abstract though...) I wonder if they even looked if I had full course load...

lol it was probably the 3.35 sciGPA.... not the fact that you took 4 courses instead of 5 one of the semesters. lmao.

lol it was probably the 3.35 sciGPA.... not the fact that you took 4 courses instead of 5 one of the semesters. lmao.

I also want to add that a member was invited this year with an undergrad GPA of 3.3... So even with a low GPA, it is actually possible of having an interview.

1. Yes, and accepted (as international student)

2. Did not address, was not asked

3. Was not told anything concrete regarding the need to have a full courseload

4. I had three semesters where I only took 4 courses (ranging from 12 to 14 credits per semester). And I am currently taking 4 courses for my last year (because I exceeded my credit requirement due to AP credits). I took 5 courses for all my other semesters. Speaking just from my experience, I don't think it's absolutely vital to have a full course load.

In my time (maybe it changed this year), the admission website stated that they wanted applicants with 15 credits/semester. It's a bit different from 5 classes/semester, although for a lot of people (especially those applying from McGill) it probably doesn't change much.

Anyhow, here it goes:

1) Yes and was accepted from waitlist (IP student).

2) Never addressed it.

3) Never asked the admissions office directly. When I was being interviewed for the PhD program (I had applied to MD-PhD) I had a chance to ask the interviewers about that since it was a more conventional type of interview (i.e. not MMIs). They told me it didn't really matter as long as you obtained your degree in a "reasonable amount of time". I don't think they make such a big deal out of it. I was rejected to the PhD part, if you're wondering.

4) My first semester I took 4 classes for 12 credits. The 2nd and 4th I took 5 for 15 credits. The 3rd one I withdrew from a class; I took 4 classes for 12 credits and ended up with a very ugly W on my transcript. The 5th (and 6th) semesters I took 4 classes for 15 and 16 credits, respectively. I took summer classes to get the last few credits. I had a 3.85 average in mathematics, for the sake of completeness. I also did one year as an independent student, where I had a 3.57 in the first semester (6 classes, but still only 15 credit). Of course they couldn't take my average for the winter semester into consideration.

tl;dr it's not a big deal, I didn't have 15 credits/semester and still got in

If you have any other questions ask away, I'll be happy to help.

In my time (maybe it changed this year), the admission website stated that they wanted applicants with 15 credits/semester. It's a bit different from 5 classes/semester, although for a lot of people (especially those applying from McGill) it probably doesn't change much.

Anyhow, here it goes:

2) Never addressed it.

3) Never asked the admissions office directly. When I was being interviewed for the PhD program (I had applied to MD-PhD) I had a chance to ask the interviewers about that since it was a more conventional type of interview (i.e. not MMIs). They told me it didn't really matter as long as you obtained your degree in a "reasonable amount of time". I don't think they make such a big deal out of it. I was rejected to the PhD part, if you're wondering.

4) My first semester I took 4 classes for 12 credits. The 2nd and 4th I took 5 for 15 credits. The 3rd one I withdrew from a class; I took 4 classes for 12 credits and ended up with a very ugly W on my transcript. The 5th (and 6th) semesters I took 4 classes for 15 and 16 credits, respectively. I took summer classes to get the last few credits. I had a 3.85 average in mathematics, for the sake of completeness. I also did one year as an independent student, where I had a 3.57 in the first semester (6 classes, but still only 15 credit). Of course they couldn't take my average for the winter semester into consideration.

Anyhow, here it goes:

2) Never addressed it.

Anyhow, here it goes:

2) Never addressed it.

Archived