Premed 101 Forums

Suturing kits, where to get them?

Does anyone know where you can get/order suturing kits and/or sutures for cheap to practice with?

I don't know where you can buy them, but we got them from our schools during our surgery rotations. Maybe if you ask a staff in the hospital (Emerg or Surgery would comes to mind) during an elective they would give you sutures...but you'd really need the instruments to practice the sutures themselves (and you can use regular thread to practice your knots)...You could try to find out if your school or library has any kits you could borrow... or even organize a suture workshop, if there isn't already one, and that would give your school an incentive to build kits for participants during the session - which you could then borrow? Just brainstorming ideas...

I was actually thinking of posting a question like this myself, good call! :) Having asked around it seems most people get them from emerg. in a hospital they are in. Many suture kits (instruments and all) are 'disposable' apparently and sometimes a preceptor might be kind enough to let you take one home for practice.

Archived