Premed 101 Forums

aamc #5 and #6

Guest premed81

Guest premed81

Well, I just wanted to say that I don't see how it's any different from the many other posts I've seen where suggestions have been made to photocopy the Kaplan or Princeton Review texts and tests INSTEAD of paying the grand to take their courses. Copyright issues are attached to such suggestions. I've read such posts but I certainly don't oppose them. Of course no one is obligated to participate. I don't think anyone is above anyone else in this forum. I think there are better things to do than criticize a post that has the same context as several other posts.

Guest Phil667

I thought that it was only illegal if you were to sell the photocopys for a profit. If not, I'm in BIG trouble (as well as 99.999% of University students photocopying lab manuals and text books).

Guest Kirsteen

Dudes,

It's one thing to do the dirty deed, but it's another to announce it to the world on someone else's board where naughty associations may be made. I'll reserve my own opinions on copyright law, but minimally, you could have "suggested" that someone contact you regarding those tests and then take any potentially illicit wheeling and dealing out of the public forum. :P

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest aneliz

This entire debate could be avoided by simply GOING to a university library and borrowing the tests in question... you can then photocopy them yourself if that is what you would like to do.

The logistics of scanning and sending such a document are unbelievable...the AAMC #5 is about 50 pages long!

As for copyright laws...you are legally able to photocopy up to 10% of a published work without infringing on copyright provided that the copy is for private study or research and is not sold or distributed further.

Guest premed81

Thank you aneliz and Phil. These were the exact points that I presumed most academic individuals were already aware of. I didn't think this was even a debate because photocopying is more common than rare. Anyhow, I think it's pointless to argue about it.

Guest Ian Wong

Heya,

I agree that it's pointless to argue about it, which is why I hope mine'll be the last post on this subject.

I personally don't care what you do with pirated materials. Pirated stuff is everywhere on the internet, and I'm sure it can probably be obtained somewhere/somehow if you are willing to search for it.

Professionally though, I can't sanction these sorts of activities on the forums. EZBoard shut down a very large board (nearly the size of this one) recently for the trafficking in pirated med school study materials that was being done by a minority of its members. Obviously, the scale of offenses was much higher there than it is here, where one individual made a simple request, but then we're starting down a slippery slope that I have no intention of exploring.

Here's a set of the ground rules that I drew up for the Housing/For Sale forum. It's by no means comprehensive, but it does include restrictions that I think are necessary to protect these forums:

pub125.ezboard.com/fpremed101frm36.showMessage?topicID=1.topic

Thanks all,

Ian

Archived