Premed 101 Forums

biochemistry

Guest sweetstuff25

Guest sweetstuff25

hey, i was just wondering whether or not it would be helpful to take biochem before taking the MCAT (does it rarely refer to ideas in biochemistry)? thx

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

A biochemistry course prior to the MCAT would be helpful, but not essential if you have a good grip on organic chemistry (where you could easily teach yourself the biochemical aspects covered by the MCAT). They do ask questions surrounding enzyme kinetics, peptide bonds, protein structure, the Krebs cycle, etc., all of which are usually covered by an introductory biochemistry course.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

I wrote the MCAT without a biochemistry course, but I found that I was able to learn enough on it on my own to still score well in the BS section. There are some very decent books out there that you can get your hands on that do a very good job of covering the basics of biochemistry. The challenge, as with pretty much everything else, is to sift through all the fluffy detail and learn what is important about each topic. With a little dedication and patience, it is totally possible to score well on the MCAT without a biochem credit, but in retrospect, I'd say that if you can get one beforehand, do it!

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest sweetstuff25

thx for your comments. i was thinking of taking biochemistry but i think it's better to just buy a book and just skim through main ideas. im taking organic chem, physiology, microbiology in the same year, so i believe that if i leave biochem for last year, will ease my load a lot. by the way, i heard organic chem is pretty darn tough and boring. :\

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Sounds like a good plan. :) As to organic chemistry, you may be surprised. Yep, it's a lot of work and it helps to hit the ground running each week by keeping up to speed on the concepts (some have described the experience as like learning a new language), but some also find that they end up loving it. :D

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived