Premed 101 Forums

Summer Research: Volunteer vs. NSERC

peppermint5039

I’m currently in 2nd year and am hoping to get involved in some research this summer. I’ve applied to a couple programs (NSERC, hospital programs etc.) and was able to find a supervisor who was willing to support my NSERC application. My GPA is pretty good (3.95), although I have no previous research experience so I’m not sure if I have a good shot at being awarded an NSERC.

However, I also have an interview for a volunteer summer position at a hospital in downtown Toronto next week. The position would be about 35 hours a week and I may be able to complete a mandatory project course while doing research as a volunteer(although I’m not 100% sure). On the other hand, I cannot complete the course if I am getting paid.

If the opportunity for the summer research position is offered to me, should I take it and run with it? Or, cross my fingers and hope that the NSERC eventually comes through? (the money would be nice! haha)

if you care personally about the course, then do that. if you would prefer the nserc, say yes to the first project and then quit if you get the nserc.

I’m currently in 2nd year and am hoping to get involved in some research this summer. I’ve applied to a couple programs (NSERC, hospital programs etc.) and was able to find a supervisor who was willing to support my NSERC application. My GPA is pretty good (3.95), although I have no previous research experience so I’m not sure if I have a good shot at being awarded an NSERC.

However, I also have an interview for a volunteer summer position at a hospital in downtown Toronto next week. The position would be about 35 hours a week and I may be able to complete a mandatory project course while doing research as a volunteer(although I’m not 100% sure). On the other hand, I cannot complete the course if I am getting paid.

If the opportunity for the summer research position is offered to me, should I take it and run with it? Or, cross my fingers and hope that the NSERC eventually comes through? (the money would be nice! haha)

Archived