Premed 101 Forums

Boy born without cerebellum a ‘mystery’ to doctors

Leon

According to conventional medical wisdom, three-year-old Chase Britton shouldn’t be able to walk. He shouldn’t be able to stand, let alone balance himself as he puts one foot in front of the other. The fact that he even breathes on his own is nothing short of remarkable.

He is, quite simply, a medical miracle.

Chase doesn’t have a cerebellum, the part of the brain that plays an important role in motor control, coordination, balance and emotional function. The little boy from Buffalo, N.Y., has stumped doctors and scientists, and challenged the medical establishment’s understanding of how the brain works.

Article

:eek:

That is shocking.. wow... I've always thought about all of the scientific material that we study. For example, without the cerebellum, you would expect a much worse condition than the boy in the article. I love studying science because it's so amazing how so many reactions and complex systems actually work together in allowing us to function. But I mean, there's always details that are still to be discovered or understood. So, what we study may be correct, but we probably aren't getting the full picture of what's going on.

Never underestimate the power of neural plasticity. This is really only possible because he was born without the cerebellum. During motor development of the cerebellum (which happens after birth), compensatory mechanisms in other neural structures would take over the role of his cerebellum.

The same thing happens when babies are born with only one hemisphere. The other side adapts and takes over.

Take the cerebellum out of an adult = different story.

Archived