Premed 101 Forums

out of province

Guest medwannabee

Guest medwannabee

hi there,

I had a real quick question. I live in Manitoba, and was thinking about applying to Ontario schools. My GPA is very high, and I feel that I might have a decent chance. However, I had just written the mcat on sunday (yesterday) and dont really know how well it went. I know i did well in all sections except i might have not done as well on the verbal! My question is, do ontario schools weigh heavily on the mcat, because I know at the University of Manitoba the mcat couunts for 50%, interview 40%, marks 10%.

Guest peachy

McMaster & Ottawa don't look at the MCAT at all.

U of T uses it as a cutoff (need 9,9,9,N to be interviewed, one point below in one section is often unofficially okay, after that they don't look at it again).

Queen's uses a cutoff as well. Last year this was 10 Verbal, 9 in both sciences, N in writing, and 30 overall. This may change this year because it's based on the applicant pool. After that they don't look it again either.

UWO's cutoffs were 9, 9, 9, Q last year. Like Queen's, this could change this year. UWO is the only Ontario school that actually uses the MCAT for their rank-ordering, but I don't think it's public information how they use this info, per this thread. In the past they've used verbal and writing scores for the ranking, and sciences only for cutoffs.

So, basically, in Ontario, it's all about meeting the cutoffs :)

Archived