Premed 101 Forums

I am interested in knowing what the PT cutoff was this year too. According to UofT, it was 3.59 for 2009, 3.63 for 2010. For McMaster, it was 3.7 for 2010. I'm hoping the GPA will actually be lower this year because of the huge physio/chiropractor benefit cut.

Please update this thread!

• 4 weeks later...
UWO:

2009-first round cutoff 3.72 final student 3.61

2010-first round cutoff 3.71 final student 3.68

Queen's I'm pretty sure was 3.4 but they also consider cGPA and personal information score.

Thanks for the info!!!

If you don't mind me asking, where did you find those numbers?? Did you make a call to UWO??

Thanks again!

Ya I emailed them. I couldn't find anything on their website.

Awesome! Thanks for posting the info.

I expect that the numbers will go up since they eliminated the 50 hours of experience that was required in the past.

Hopefully not too much as my GPA is 3.73. May 20th can't come soon enough.

I forgot to mention that I got the info for Queen's off their website.

And I understand what you mean about the GPA, Admi...I'm worried mine won't be high enough or that I'll be wayyy down the waiting list. But you just never know! Waiting is so hard!

Awesome! Thanks for posting the info.

I expect that the numbers will go up since they eliminated the 50 hours of experience that was required in the past.

Hopefully not too much as my GPA is 3.73. May 20th can't come soon enough.

That 50 hours might have been the only thing stopping pre-med people from using UWO PT as a backup..... especially since there's no interview or essay, essentially every pre-med with a high GPA can just pay the fee and find out in May.... at least western OT makes you write an essay...

I think it means that students were wait-listed and the final student from the wait-list to be accepted into the program had a GPA of 3.61 (or 3.68 in 2010). Everyone who got first round acceptance would have been above 3.72. That's my understanding of it.

And ya, I don't know why Western dropped the volunteer hours. In these professions, people need to understand what they're getting into before they start the program, but that's just my opinion.

I think it means that students were wait-listed and the final student from the wait-list to be accepted into the program had a GPA of 3.61 (or 3.68 in 2010). Everyone who got first round acceptance would have been above 3.72. That's my understanding of it.

And ya, I don't know why Western dropped the volunteer hours. In these professions, people need to understand what they're getting into before they start the program, but that's just my opinion.

+1

IMO This is going to lead to more students who don't know about the profession, which will lead to poorer PTs. Every other Ontario school has measures in place to assure that students have a good understanding of the profession.

My experience volunteering with a PT has been invaluable, and it's really showed me that PT is the career for me.

+1

IMO This is going to lead to more students who don't know about the profession, which will lead to poorer PTs. Every other Ontario school has measures in place to assure that students have a good understanding of the profession.

My experience volunteering with a PT has been invaluable, and it's really showed me that PT is the career for me.

I disagree with your statement there, I don't think students who don't know a lot about PT when applying will lead to worse PTs. That's like saying you can't train good doctors because most med applicants have no idea what a doctor actually does.

I think dropping the volunteer requirements will allow the PT program to get some very bright people who will make exceptional PTs, at the same time like I've said before, it's going to make the first round cut off really high and then everyone who used it as a back up but got into their first choice will just decline the offer (ie. more people suffer the anxiety of being on the waiting list even though they really have a passion for PT)

What will lead to worse PTs is the fact that UWO has no interviews... PTs must interact with patients everyday, so people that lack communication skills but have really high GPAs will lead to worse PTs. Personally I think acquiring communication skills and learning not being introverted is A LOT harder than learning about the profession

I disagree with your statement there, I don't think students who don't know a lot about PT when applying will lead to worse PTs. That's like saying you can't train good doctors because most med applicants have no idea what a doctor actually does.

I think dropping the volunteer requirements will allow the PT program to get some very bright people who will make exceptional PTs, at the same time like I've said before, it's going to make the first round cut off really high and then everyone who used it as a back up but got into their first choice will just decline the offer (ie. more people suffer the anxiety of being on the waiting list even though they really have a passion for PT)

What will lead to worse PTs is the fact that UWO has no interviews... PTs must interact with patients everyday, so people that lack communication skills but have really high GPAs will lead to worse PTs. Personally I think acquiring communication skills and learning not being introverted is A LOT harder than learning about the profession

What I meant in my previous post is that when there's an experience requirement, you're only going to have applicants who know that they want to become PTs. Those who get experience in the PT field and don't like it won't end up applying. So in the end you're going to have applicants who really want to be PTs.

Eliminating the need for that experience is going to bring in some applicants who don't really know what PT is all about. Some of these people who get in might not realize until they're almost done PT school that it isn't for them, which I think will lead to poorer PTs.

I think it is interesting that for the most part mainly OT programs (e.g, U of A, Queens, U of T) want to see resumes and personal statements. PT doesn't emphasize EC activities as much.

It just seems odd that UWO PT would only base entry on GPA (and references? I can't remember if they needed those or not). You would think that some EC experience should be considered. For instance, people who worked on their bachelor's degree part time and worked in health care or social services (e.g., rehab assistant or a life skills worker with people with developmental disabilities) may be better candidates for such a people oriented field.

• 4 weeks later...
I think it is interesting that for the most part mainly OT programs (e.g, U of A, Queens, U of T) want to see resumes and personal statements. PT doesn't emphasize EC activities as much.

It just seems odd that UWO PT would only base entry on GPA (and references? I can't remember if they needed those or not). You would think that some EC experience should be considered. For instance, people who worked on their bachelor's degree part time and worked in health care or social services (e.g., rehab assistant or a life skills worker with people with developmental disabilities) may be better candidates for such a people oriented field.

Good point, I am really curious as to how they will be selecting applicants?..

I believe that UWO PT and UWO OT selection criteria is based purely on GPA...I was accepted last year for OT at UWO and they told us that everyone in our class was selected based on our GPA (50ish spots out of 600+ applicants). So, for those hoping to get into either program at UWO, hopefully you guys have a higher GPA than 550+ applicants!

Archived