Premed 101 Forums

Which American schools to apply to?

Not even sure if there are American schools that would take me. Please Advise:

OMSAS: 3.74

MCAT: 30Q (11Bs/9V/10Ps) (I wrote in July 2008)

Citizenship: Canadian.

ECs: Run of the mill. 4 Years 1st Responder. 3 years program facilitator for gr. 7 boys. 1 year with Homeless. 2 Newspaper publications. Men's soccer team manager and player. 1/2 yr lab research experience. 1/2 yr gross anatomy lab experience. couple of others.

I haven't always taken a full course load. Usually 4 but sometimes 5.

Thanks in advance!

Not even sure if there are American schools that would take me. Please Advise:

OMSAS: 3.74

MCAT: 30Q (11Bs/9V/10Ps) (I wrote in July 2008)

Citizenship: Canadian.

ECs: Run of the mill. 4 Years 1st Responder. 3 years program facilitator for gr. 7 boys. 1 year with Homeless. 2 Newspaper publications. Men's soccer team manager and player. 1/2 yr lab research experience. 1/2 yr gross anatomy lab experience. couple of others.

I haven't always taken a full course load. Usually 4 but sometimes 5.

Thanks in advance!

Hey

First things first. Your MCAT may be expired if you are applying this cycle (they only look at MCAT from most 3 recent years). As to your academic stats, I got into gwu with 3.6/30 so its definitely possible. As for your extracurricular, you dont seem to have clinical experience, the US schools place a big emphasis on that. My advice is do a masters/put off applying to rewrite MCAT and get at least a year of clinical/hospital volunteering under your belt before you apply, shadowing doctors is even better. Good luck.

yes, you can. But with only 40 hours of clinical work, that would be a weakness that many schools might have a problem with, especially with average applicants who doesnt have 4.0/40 MCAT (Check this board and SDN, most people who apply have at least several hundred hours of volunteering). If you really want to apply, you can, just write the MCAT ASAP (ie before august) and get your application submitted at the first available date. Good luck

yes, you can. But with only 40 hours of clinical work, that would be a weakness that many schools might have a problem with, especially with average applicants who doesnt have 4.0/40 MCAT (Check this board and SDN, most people who apply have at least several hundred hours of volunteering). If you really want to apply, you can, just write the MCAT ASAP (ie before august) and get your application submitted at the first available date. Good luck

Do we have to let them know exactly how many hours? Or can we just say 1 year?

Do we have to let them know exactly how many hours? Or can we just say 1 year?

The activity section of the AMCAS application includes slots to enter dates of the activity as well as hours per week, so you'd end up having to disclose the hours as well.

Archived